1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yorkville cab quality?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tazthewonderdog, Dec 31, 2011.

1. I've heard bad and good things about Yorkville amps, but nothing about their bass cabs. I looked at their website and found nothing. Anyone have experience with their 4x10s? Can they take a B string and still sound tight and punchy? Seeing as they're no longer on yorkville's website, how much are they worth?

Any input would be awesome!

2. Vinny D

Vinny D

Jan 9, 2007
    Warwick, RI
    Are you looking at a older cab or something new?
    Traynor Amps: Bass Extension Cabinets

I can't comment on the build quality of there older stuff but I recently owned (2) of there TC115 bass cabs and they were built like a tank!
    Very solid construction and very hard to beat for the price....they sounded great also.

I own a LOT of Yorkville Elite & TX series PA cabinets, they also are built great, never any issues and fantastic customer service.

3. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS

Mar 17, 2007
    Ontario
    After searching high and low, different brands, different configurations, I'm very happy with my Yorkville XC410 cabs. I used to gig with a Yorkville 210 and 115 (both excellent quality), but found the 410 to be much more to my liking ... punchier, sits better in a live mix in my opinion ... including with a 5-string (Fender Jazz passive).

I've used mine in hard-rock power trio situations, as well as with country acts with 3 guitars, keys, and steel guitar fighting for space. I have both the Yorkville XS800 head (for 600 watts with the XC410) and the XS400 head (250W with the XC410). At low and high volumes, it sounds great to my ears.

I used to gig with the XC808 (8 eight inch speakers), and that's also an excellent choice when looking for punch, but the extra size and weight was a major turnoff for me.

And built like tanks ... I actually have two XC410's. One is mint and lives in my basement, the other is a bit beat up and stays in my garage through all 4 Canadian seasons. I never worry about the beat up one letting me down and it hasn't.

I did pair up the two cabs with the XS800 head once to get the full 800W, but I personally have no practical purpose for that much power.

Lastly, I'm sure you know this, but Yorkville bass equipment has been sold under the original Traynor name for the past couple of years, but the gear is essentially the same in terms of tone and reliability. Cosmetically, the Traynors are black instead of grey and the 410 has wheels whereas the Yorkville XC410 does not.

Used, I paid $250 for my mint XC410 and $200 for the one that was a bit beat up.

BassRig.

4. Are Yorkville and Traynor the same? Or similar?

murphy likes this.
  5. Thanks!! I think I'll pick this one up. I had no idea Traynor and Yorkville were the same. I feel silly now :p

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,

+1 Vinny D. They are well built, rugged, and sound great.

Rezdog

7. How north? I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada. Haha

8. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    They are the same company. Yorkville sound builds traynor amps.

9. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I kinda view Yorkville and Traynor as the "Peavey of Canada" - nothing fantastic, but good solid, reliable gear for a good price... JMHO,

- georgestrings

murphy likes this.
  10. Haha. I'm looking for good solid, reliable gear at a good price.

And Peavey ships to Canada, by the way

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've never heard a bad thing about the Yorkville/Traynor amps. I loved the XS800 I owned. Only sold it to join the micro amp craze. Shoulda kept it. Best amp I ever had!

Can't speak for the cabs though.

12. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Yorkville/Traynor is all designed for serious gigging...ie touring and backline. It's not typically expensive or flashy but you'll get great tone reliably. Little things like mid select switches on amps (not cabs of course) may not be there a-la-SVT but there are always enough control for anyone to dial themselves in.

Everyone I know that swaps yorkville gear to go to something more 'advanced' tends to regret it.

13. I have a XS400TC Combo I bought used for 400.00. I'm using it for mainly country but have used it at a couple of gigs with a rock trio and it held up just fine. I really like using the tube pre and dialling in that warm sound just before the overdrive starts taking place. From there you can mix that into the solidstate part of the amp providing incredible tonal possibilities.

I am looking to put together another rig to cover 2 different rock trio's where I'll go the micro head route with 410 cabs. One of the first cab's I'll try out is the 410 from Traynor.

That being said I will not part with my Yorkville amp and will continue to use it for the country act. I can dial up a huge range of sounds and more volume than I will ever hope to use.

I first used their stuff in 1971 (my first bass amp) and it truly was built like a tank. Only reason I moved away from it because Traynor wasn't readily available in the areas I lived in at the time.

14. Thanks! I have a question though, what's backline gear anyway? It it the stuff stored at a venue so when a band comes they don't need to set up their own amps and stuff?

15. MikePL

MikePL

Nov 25, 2011
    Montreal, QC
    I've used a Yorkville Bassmaster 200 combo (w/the 15inch) for about 10 years, punk rock gigs, prog rock gigs, reggae/hip-hop gigs... Never let me down, always got the tone I needed for the gig, volume was perfect except for on-stage at big gigs (I just don't like the sound of monitors for bass...) and it cost me 450$ new! The only thing that beat this amp was my Ampeg rig, at the cost of MUCH MORE weight.

16. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    I use to hear that a lot, "Peavey of Canada". I remember the days when pawnshops had YBA-1's sitting collecting dust, they couldn't sell them for $50.00. my how times have changed, nothing against Peavey but I don't find the comparison valid at all. vintage Traynor amps are as good or better than any other I own, I have vintage Hiwatt, Marshall, Fender and Garnet in my stable.
    I use the XC410 as well and it's built extremely well and has never let me down, the thing pounds. it also has light bulbs inside as limiters, I sent a hot shorted signal to it once (by accident) and they lit up, my bandmates couldn't believe their eyes, lol.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Just to be clear, I didn't really mean that in a totally negative way - I gigged solely Peavey gear for my bass amp needs for years and years, and made a bunch of money with it... Although I mostly play Mesa and G-K these days, I still own 3 Peavey bass cabs - and they're still solid gear...

However, just like Peavey, *I* don't think Yorkville and Traynor sounds *as good* as Mesa, G-K, Genz-Benz, SWR, Eden, Ampeg, etc... - it's just not on the same level, IMO...

To each their own, though... if I were to show up at a gig with a provided backline that was Yorkville or Traynor, I wouldn't sweat it - I know it would get me thru the gig, no prob...

- georgestrings

murphy likes this.
  18. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Backline gear is sometimes house gear so that incoming musicians don't have to bring their own - to minimize setup and changeover times, as well as accomodate the realities of some big city venues... Also, backline gear is often rented for out of town musicians, as part of the terms of the gig... On multi-band bills, it's not uncommon for one of the bands to provide a backline to be shared by the others on the bill...

Those are the backline examples I'm familiar with - there may be others...

- georgestrings

19. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    we completely disagree, and that's ok. :)

20. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Traynor's doing the Henry 8x8 thing...for those of you that prefer new gear and want an 8x8...that's the brand to get.