yorkville cabs: 1x15 vs. 2x10 vs.4x10...one choice only

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Dec 1, 2004.

1. I'm planning on buying ONE cab for my first head/cab rig. as far as being portable, low end capable, and clear sounding, which cab will best handle bass? I play in drop D alot, so it's important i have a piece of gear that can handle the low end.
    any help would be greatly appreciated
  2. Without knowing the T/S specs for the drivers, one can only guess.

It is my experience that 2x10 cabs offer the highest amount of internal volume, per speaker. This affects the tuning and bottom end performance. In the Avatar line, I would opt for a pair of 2x10 instead of one 4x10 for the above reason.

A pair of 2x10 are easier to move around than a more bulky 4x10. It is easier to get a 2x10 higher, and closer to ear level. Doing so makes it easier to hear yourself on stage without turning the amp up to 11.

Most commercial low end 15" cabs are poorly executed, and have earned a reputation for being mud machines. The 15" driver design is not bad in itself, but is nearly always improperly enclosed. The 15" wants a lot of volume, and a high quality 15" (read: punchy) is expensive to manufacture. Neither of these are competitive in low-end mass produced cabs. I really doubt the Yorkville is using premium grade 15" drivers, so I'd pass on their 15". YMMV by what you want to hear.