Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville Cabs -- cost, quality, overall "sweet" factor

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Sep 28, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm getting a Yorkville XS400 combo, and I have a few questions here --

1. Is it very important to match combo company to cab company? eg, when I buy an extension cab, should it/must it be a Yorkville?

2. How much do Yorkville cabs cost?

3. How's the sound? Durability?

4. Any low-cost reccomendations? Avatar isn't really a great option, because they're mail-order only, shipping it to here (south Ontario), it'd cost a fortune.

2. i think it is better to get same company cabs, beacuse the company tried the cabs with the combo and and makes them sound better. plus is looks better and you dont have to worry about tyhe size of the combo and the size of the cab.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's what I was thinking...good to know I'm on the same page with someone! Phew.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey Go, if you're looking to get a combo and then add an extension cab later, consider getting the XS400T now and adding an XC115x later on...I think L&M is retailing them at $280...I know the carpeted version of the XS400T(C) is retailing around $960, I'm not sure what the painted version is going for but I can check...

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What about the XS400? Just the 115, I can't make that jump up to $960 for the combo at the moment.

Also, do you know how much the XC210 and XC115 are?

Also, how dramatic is the weight/size/price difference between the XC115X and the XC115?

6. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have that one. Sounds good and its a tank as far a durability is concerned. Like you I was pondering the same question regarding the ext cab. I bought one that came off rental at L&M and saved a little dough. You may want to look at that option.

Dan

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'll have to get back to you on that...regarding the pricing, the specs are on the Yorkville site if you can't wait until Saturday for a reply (don't work until Friday again, and then straight to a session after that, so won't be able to post until Saturday/Sunday)

8. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sooo...rev?

9. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada

Sorry dude, got sidetracked with office crap and my hardrive dying...I'll have an answer for you tomorrow evening.

10. Go used if possible, the XS400's have only been around for a year. I just picked mine up for $300, and it sounds sweet

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    It's all cool man, no problem.

Kennyhoe: I'd love to, but there's almost NO used market around here for amps. Anyone who sells, sells to their friends first. No one around here who has one has had it for more than a couple months.

12. Just as a note, I rented my Yorkville 2x10 & 1x15 cabs off of L&M Bloor and ended up buying them. Didn't need to return to the store just called and sent them a check and the 2x10 was something like half price because it had been in rentals for over 6 months. Plus, you can't get any better for "try before you buy" with a month rental.

13. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    I bought a xs400t.. 2X10.. Let me tell you.. It's one helluva of an amp.. HUGE bottom, nice highs and get loud as *#!%.

14. as far as cabs, what do you recommend more, the 15 or the 4x10? how much bigger is the 4x10? I'm still looking into getting the amp, but then again, i'm looking into how much trunk space i'm going to need to worry about. an old's cutlas supreme, not necessarily large

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    +1...definitely better tone than the XS400, the cabinet design is much better on the XS400T.

16. kroth

kroth

Apr 6, 2003
    My yorkville BLOC250 is built like a tank and sounds like a full stack. Picked it up second-hand for about $150 !!! It has such insane headroom and power, it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl everytime I crank it up with my active Jazz. Who knew a single fifteen could fill the room with such huge, blossoming tone? Perfect example of shopping with your ears and not by name brand.( this thing ain't very pretty, but it sure is a workhorse)