Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassist31588, Apr 6, 2003.

1. I'm particularly interested in the 15" XC115 with the tweeter OR the XC210. Both are tuned to 50 hz and can take in 300 watts at 8 ohms. I was also wondering how the cheaper 15 ext. cab would be with a low B which is only tuned to 60 hz without a tweeter. For people who've played through all of these, does the 2x10 deliver enough headroom and low end. I'd only be using one of these for now.

I'm interested in reviews of only Yorkville products. I've gathered enough info about Avatar and I'd like to know how the avatar and yorkville would compare. If you own or have played through yorkville gear, I'd like to hear from you. I am on a tight budget obviously. I'm looking for a standalone unit, but will add in a year or two. I'm using a hartke 3500 head, 240 watts @ 8 ohms, 350 @ 4. I'm gonna run a search here on TB for other threads similar to this. Avatar seems to be the way to go here, but I want as many opinions as possible as Its gonna be a couple months before I have enough cash, Im 15 w/out a job so it sucks.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Have you tried them both?

I wouldn't rely too much on specifications...rely on your ears. You don't need a cabinet that goes down to 30 Hz for a good B. Most of our instrument's tone is in the harmonics and bass strings actually don't put out that much fundamental.

I think that Walter Harley has some interesting graphs of a bass's actual frequency output on his site at www.cafewalter.com

3. ok, cool link... I dunno, the reason why I look at so many of the damn specs is because most of the time I can't get out of the house to try some of this stuff out. I went to samash and plugged into hartke cabs that I liked, I did that rant before, you've heard it;), but you guys insist that I can do better than hartke, so Jazz Ad from HC told me about Yorkville. There's some yorkville dealers like 50 minutes from here, haven't had time in the past two weeks to check them out though. I just figure the lower the cab is tuned the less likely you're going to be to damage the speakers. I mean, those ratings are there for a reason, they arent irrelevant; but I suppose hearing it is believing. I've heard good and bad things about yorkville. I just want a professional sounding rig at a low price. I mean I'm not playing huge shows and I don't wanna hurt my back and wallet, I just want good tone with sufficient volume, not excess. The Hartke 3500 with a proper cab is damn loud and it has the tone I want.