yorkville combo amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DNE, Mar 31, 2003.

1. DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    I've done a thread search and found a few comments about yorkville amps but not enough to really develop a "consensus" (or an evenly divided split). What are your thoughts about the brand?

The context of my question is that I am looking for a combo amp b/w 60 and 200 watts priced b/w $250 and $400. I have come across a few yorkvilles that fit the bill.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I have a friend who has one, and although i have never played through it, it had pretty decent tone, and was very durable. He has the 100 watt version.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

They are excellent amps.
    Great projection, good simple EQ, sturdy and reliable.
    Very loud, too.

I've played a BM200T (2x10", 200 W) for a while with excellent results.

They have a straight, completelyl uncolored sound, with a lot of punch. I'd call them bass PAs.
    Not for everybody, I know people who can't stand them.
  4. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I rented a Yorkville when my SWR Super Redhead was in the shop. Not sure which model it was. I know it was just a 1x15 combo. I was quite amazed with it. In fact, when I realized I needed a 1x15 to go with mine, I bought a Yorkville extension to go with it. Of course I get some "guffaws" from other musicians when I set up, but then they hear it. Not sure why, but they don't seem to get enough respect/recognition.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Tell me about it! I used to have Yorkville stack for a bass rig, and the sound was kicking...lotsa power, pretty good tone.

I'd go for the XM200 or XM200T, unless you don't want to spend a little extra money and go for the BM400 combo. All of the above are excellent units!
  6. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I've used a BM200 extensively gigging and rehearsing over the last two years. I agree with all of the above except about the loud part - although it's all relative I guess. I've posted about this amp in these forums and at H-C before, so you have probably read all I have to say about them....good solid amp for the price. I'd say go for the 2x10 rather than the 1x15 - the 1x15 gets pretty boomy at high volumes. Works great with any 8-ohm extension cab. I color my sound with the SansAmp Bass DI and get a little extra gain as well...

All that said, I've "moved up" to a head/cab setup and enjoy my tone much better now....

7. DNE

Feb 27, 2003
    Thanks for all the great responses. I am not sure what I will ultimately get but I feel more comfortable about the yorkvilles. I tested a BM200 yesterday and it sounded pretty decent.
  8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I bought the 400 watt 15" combo recently. It isn't a very warm amp but the tone is pretty sweet anyways. For the price you get a reliable and fairly loud amp. Now all i need is an extension 2x10.:D

Bottom line, thumbs up for yorkville:bassist:

9. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    I had a Yorkville BM100 15" combo. Go for the 2x10 200 watt combos. They sound really good. The old ones were called BM200T. Their new name is XM200T. The BM100 is a good sounding amp too but it's not very loud.