Yorkville, Nemesis or Carvin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Anthbass, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I am selling off a Nemesis 1x12" combo and putting the ensuing monies (plus around $500) towards a larger combo.
    I am looking in the sub-$900 dollar range (CDN), and would like some input as to the Yorkville XS400 1x15, the Nemesis NC212 and the new Carvin BR615. I play 4 and 5 string basses, mostly at home or in basement jams with friends. We mostly perform experimental rock and fool around with some jazz and blues. I am primarily a finger player and do not play particularly aggressively, but I do slap occasionally. I have played the Yorkville and liked its sound and power. I haven't played the bigger Nemesis but have owned 2 of the Silver Series and had great luck with them (as well as loving the tone). I have not perchanced upon the Carvin but it appears to be a good deal in a small package. Thanks for any input.

2. The yorkville 1x15 combo is the only one that I have tried fromthe ones you mentioned. It sounded really good....and loud. I really enjoy Yorkville's 15 inch cabs. Lots of lows and smooth mids and really good highs...

3. Same here. I have tried a few other Nemesis combos though and the Yorkie was superior in every aspect IMO. I just sold an XS400 a couple of days ago to buy a YBA head for my rig. I didn't need a combo but if I did I wouldn't hesitate to put my money down on an XS combo again. If there's anything specific you need to know about it I'm sure one of us or someone else will be able to answer your question. Joe

4. Seeing as you live in Canada, the Yorkie is an even better choice! :)

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Yorkville sounds great, has loads of headroom, is very reliable and has the best warranty. That's the one I'd go for in that price range. And it's Canadian eh.

6. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    i own a yorkville. great amps. great sound and volume (mine pumps way more than the listed 100 watts). warranties are great, in the 8 years i've owned mine, i've only had one repair (it was $60 for a new input jack).

go yorkville.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I owned the Yorkville 200 watt combo for a year. Big sound for such supposedly low power. I've tried the 400 watt combo. It's a VERY good amp. If you can handle the weight, you can't go wrong (I couldn't so I got a Walkabout Scout combo.) Lightweight gear is going to cost you if you want high volumes and good sound. Strangely enough, I found the 2X10 Yorkville combos to have a bigger sound than the 1X15. I'm normally a big 1X15 fan.

Yorkville has come a long way from their humble Traynor beginning.

8. Anthbass

Anthbass

Jul 24, 2006
    Canada
    I was thinking of buying the 1x15 (I tried it out for a weekend) and adding a 2x10 cab later. Do you feel the 2x10 combo would adequately handle a 5 string at decent volume?

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't play a 5 string myself but I think so, just as well as most other 2X10s do. But a 1X15 and 2X10 would be something all right. You'd get full power from the amp that way too and still be able to break it down to a combo amp for smaller gigs.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021