yorkville owners opinions bm50 vs. xm50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I'm asking people who have heard both and probably owned one or the other, but HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE THE TONES OF these two model series and other build quality issues??

OR if you have experience with BOTH of the larger series combos like BM100 vs. XM100 etc.
  2. indykrap

Nov 6, 2004
    As in older blue carpet models versus newer ones?
    Both sound pretty fantastic, though the contour knob is where its at, versus contour switch.

Both will be rock solid good quality and sound great, so its up to you.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I see the BM series pop up on ebay now and then. I'd really like to have a little 10 around. maybe I could get the older bm series for under $100?
  4. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I can't remember for sure but I think the tone controls on the XM sries are a bit more flexible. I did play one of the old models a couple times. I own the XM50C now for use at home. It has a line out, headphone jack and CD inputs with 3 band EQ. I think it's more than the old series had.

Solid little amp with amazing power for its size, Sounds bigger than 50 watts. 30 lbs and easy to carry. I think it sounds bigger than the old series. I could use it in small rooms with amplified acoustic guitars easily. The sound is very good. Beats out the Roland cube 30 which I tried side by side.

The other XM models have been upgraded as well. The XM200, in particular, is now really something and an incredible deal.

If you go for a used Yorkville, check that the speaker is in good shape. of course you should do that with any used amp.