Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    How do they stack up against some of the other brands. I also looking at QSC PLX 2402, Carvin dc200.Thanks.

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Ahem, they stack up excellent, let me tell you!:D

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm sure they stack up fine, but the PLX will sound much better.

4. Actually the Yorkvilles sound much better than both the PLX and the Carvin. Usually they're prohibitively priced. Their sound is VERY similar to touring series Crown amps.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I guess I stand corrected, then. Imagine that.

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    They have a pretty good reputation. IMHO, they're one of the few amp companies that really do things right, which is why they haven't had to sell the company to somebody bigger.

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    How about weight, and size?

Id like to replace the 900 Watt ~40lb, 3 space amp Im using now with something 1200-2000 Watt ~20lbs, and 2 spaces. Do they have any models that fit these specs?

Peace
    Nick

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its a nice amp, but kinda heavy compared to the others Im looking at.

Peace
    Nick

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    First you say they sound better than PLX (I don't agree), then you say they sound similar to Crown Macro-Tech! That's contradictory. ;)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its a consiberable bit more expensive than the others Ive been looking at, plus Im less familiar with these.

Peace
    Nick

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    How about an A4.4? 25 pounds, 1200 watts aside @ 4 ohms...

A4.4 Overview
    Drawing on over 35 years of experience designing and building power amplifiers, Yorkville breaks away from transformer based amplifiers and introduces the A4.4. The latest addition to the Audiopro line, the A4.4 is a power-factor-corrected switching power supply amplifier that delivers 1200 watts per channel at 4 ohms.

The concept behind the A4.4 is to combine a light aluminum chassis and power-factor-corrected power supply with the proven, high efficiency power amplifier modules of the popular AP4040. The result is the 26-pound A4.4 - a difference of 18 pounds! The A4.4 also contains all the Audiopro standard features including 'Ultra-Quiet' front-to-back fan cooling, high pass filter, advanced protection circuitry, ground lift switch, defeatable limiter, stereo/mono/bridge switch, XLR and ¼ " balanced inputs, and Speakon™ and binding post outputs.

As with all Audiopro power amplifiers, the A4.4 is protected by Yorkville's standard two year (EVEN IF YOU BREAK IT!) transferable warranty* and is distributed exclusively in North America by Yorkville Sound.

*Warranty valid in U.S. and Canada only.

A4.4 Features
    A-Series amplifiers are not only suitable for use in both heavy duty touring sound reinforcement systems but also when high headroom and low distortion are needed to fully reproduce the dynamic range and clarity of today’s digital recordings. They are built to survive grueling road conditions and will drive reactive phase shifted loads with no difficulty - even though they are fully protected from accidental short circuits. Unlike many of our competitors, Yorkville power amplifiers are designed for rock solid performance right down to and below their lowest impedance ratings. This impedance aware strategy deals with the realities of driving typical reactive speaker loads and the associated problems such as thermal shut-down, inductive ‘snap-back’, and premature current limiting.

All A-Series amplifiers undergo a thorough computer-monitored, temperature-cycled, burn-in period to test for any deviation from design parameters. The designs, while unique, are conservative with regard to the power handling capabilities of the output devices. The computer optimized heat dissipation system ensures that excessive thermal stress will not occur. Cool, clean air is supplied to the amplifier via fan-assisted front-to-rear venting. A user-serviceable filter is incorporated into the front mounted air intake grill, ensuring long-term reliability. Front panel Power, Protect, Activity and Clip LED's are bright and easy to see and all knobs and handles are recessed for safe, easy transportation. All A-Series power amplifiers also feature full DC, load and thermal protection while a user-defeatable limiter maintains full output without audible clipping.

The back panel features Speakon™ and binding post outputs as well as balanced XLR & ¼" TRS inputs. The peak limiter, subsonic filter, mono/stereo/bridge mode and ground lift switches are also mounted on the back panel.

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    awww man...I was so busy getting the research on your ealier post, that I didn't even see the two before my last one! Sorry guy...

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its all good.

Maybe some other TBer will see that info and find the amp of his dreams!

Peace
    Nick

15. I know you're partial to your product, but my opinion comes from real world A/B comparisions for rigs I had to haul myself. Believe me, if the PLX's could have cut it, I would have much preferred them due to their lighter weight. Twelve power amps gets kinda heavy, no matter what kind they are. Hell, the rack weighed 150lbs empty!

But anyway, for subs, there's no contest. I A/B'ed two (stereo setup) Crown MA2402 against THREE seperate groups of PLX3400's (I tried three different groups of the same type because I had trouble believing the difference and thought that the first and second might somehow be defective.)
    through JBL SR218, Cerwin Vega LR36 and SL36B subwoofers. I also ran a pair of Electrovoice SX500 cabinets for tops with each subwoofer type. The crosssover was a Rane AC22, and there was no external EQ.

Using the VU meters on the amp and the the source boards' metering (various Mackies, Yamahas, and an Allen and Heath GL2200) to verify signal level, the Crown absolutely buried the QSC's in punch and volume. All the amps were bridged mono into 4 ohm loads. One amp per cab for the JBL's and two Cerwins per amp.

I went to all that trouble because I had recently taken a full PLX rig out on a show date I was mixing and had noticed that over the course of the night, the PLX's lost more than half of their power. None of them were bridged or run into low loads, and I double-checked my ears using a dB meter. It was over 10dB difference between the start of the show and the end of it for a 0VU reading on the board. I also checked the wall voltage looking for an explanantion but it remained constant.

I have used some Powerlight amps at an installation job, and they performed up to my expectations, so I'm not just slagging QSC. I also used to have an old USA series amp and liked it alot, too. I have also A/B'ed the Yorkville's AP series amps against the Crown Macro-Tech, and they performed about the same. Call it a contradiction if you like, but I'm VERY picky about my PA power and the PLX's didn't cut it.

16. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    What VU meters? Do you mean the LED ladders on the front of the PLX amps, so you could get the gains set to within about 10 dB? ;)

I'll guess the Crown amps were set to 0.775 v sensitivity. Is that correct?

You're saying the amps' gain decreased during the night? That would be something amazing if it were possible, man. ;)

Methinks something other than the amps was wrong. Probably your gain structure was off. The PLX amps have a maximum gain of 40×, and that's lower than a lot of amps; you have to set up the system gain correctly. Setup and driven right, PLX 3402 can beat MacroTech 2400/2402s fairly cleanly, but then again, it's not a fair comparison because the PLX 3402 is a higher-power model.

17. You don't have to imply that I'm incompetent just because I had a negative experience with your company's product. I know how to set gain staging and when I said I used the amps' LED's, it was with test tones from the Allen and Heath initially so that constant tone at 0Vu on the board lit the 0Vu (the yellow LED) indicator on both amps. Both kinds of amp were set for the same sensitivity. It was the first thing I checked. Incidentally, I performed the A/B test twice in two seperate locations on different occassions and both results were the same. One was even powered off wall current and the other was gennie powered.

When I said the PLX's gain dropped over the course of the night at the show, that's exactly what I meant. According to the db meter, after about half an hour of use, their gain dropped 6dB. I compensated using more output on the board. The gain kept gradually dropping even further over the course of the night and it got to the point that I was driving the board to near clip, a full +22 dBU, just to get useable volume. To give you an idea of how bad that was, soundcheck's with a full house loudest (and I mean painfully loudest) volume was -6dBu.

I know it's much easier for you to try to discredit what I've said than to admit there might have been something wrong with six separate PLX3400's or that they have a design compromise, but if you'll check the archives, I HAVE said it here before, and I have no reason to lie. I was as surprised as anyone, because I had previously respected QSC.

I suspect that their power supplies don't like sustained high current output and heat up too much, but that's just my guess. I have no interest in PA amp design.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This is just a crazy guess by someone who doesnt know much about amplifiers, but I have a feeling that the QSC amps were decresing the volume level to compensate for clipping as Ive heard they are made to do as a speaker protection feature.

Its just something Ive heard about certain amps, and I believe QSC amps were one of the amps I heard this about, and it sounds like it could very possibly be the issue.

Peace
    Nick

19. After the opener left the stage, I turned their limiters off suspecting that they were the problem. Even after a complete power cycle and the dip switches were reset, the volume loss remained unchanged. I isolated every component in that rig and did extensive testing after that because I have never before or since encountered a situation even remotely similar to it. The amps WERE the problem.