Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yorkville rig idea....good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 3, 2005.

1. i am finally ready to spend money soon (in a couple months). i thought i'd get myself an xs800h and an 8 ohm avatar b212 cab. if i want the full watts, i can order two 4 ohm cabs and daiseychain them together for the full loud. this sound like a good rig? how much clarity and high end response will the xs800 give? i liked the xm200 (with 15 inch speaker) when i tried it, but i was practically riding the treble to near (or at) 4:00 or 5:00, and high mids were at 2:00 low mids were at 12:00 i think, bass was at 10 or 11 o clock.

so is my rig going to be too much for the 212? i hear the 300 is plenty, so i'm questioning if i'm going overkill, but at the same time, i want this amp and cab rig to last years (if i don't destroy it)

2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    The XS800H will drive two Cabinets rated at 8 ohms each no problem, for a total load of 4 ohms, providing 800 watts of power. That is plenty believe me !!!

The XS800H offers great versatility for Tone. It would be interesting to hear it with two 212 Cabinets. I find the XC808 Cabinet ( 8 X 8 ) is an excellent choice for the XS800H. Great definition and punch from these cabinets.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Weird thing about that head is that 600 watts is delivered at 8 or 2 ohms, while 800 watts is delivered at 4 ohms. It's strange, and i'm not sure of their reasoning, but you'd be better off just going with two 8 ohm cabs.

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    It's a limiter that they built into the amp to protect it...

5. ok, cool, so what about the 2x12 cab i'm looking at? is it good for highs(i'm working with a 15 in a peavey tko65 combo right now, highs don't exactly glisten with it)? i really want to manage to get both the thundering lows and the type of highs that the xm200 combo delivers. sorry if i'm nagging, but i haven't really played their line as they aren't really known in jersey.

as far as the cab suggestions, the reason why i was thinking about an 8 ohm cab and two 4 ohm cabs (chained) is cuz if I want to add for more power, one 4 can add a 100 watts or so, and 2 4s with the 8 combined will give me the full 800.
    either way i want to go simple and semi light (as far as bass is concerned) and upgrade when needed

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You'll only get the full 800 watts at 4 ohms. Down to 2 ohms, it's 600. Same at 8 ohms.

7. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Scorpion,

You should get more highs from the 2X12 than with your single 15, but still keep lots of bottom end. You will get 600 watts from the Yorkie head at 8 ohms. I would not mix different ohms cabinets if I were you and stick with two cabs at 8 ohms to match the Yorkie head or one 8X10 Cab at 4 ohms.