Yorkville rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, May 9, 2005.

1. hey guys, this weekend im driving out to the country to see this guys yorkville rig he has for sale. the head and 115 are 3 years old, and the 410 is 2 years old. hes asking 1050 but im thinking around 800-900.(canadian currency)

does anyone have information on the yorvkille BM400h head, and the 410 and 115 from 2001-2005?

also, does anyone have previous experience with this amp?

i know yorkville have great quality for there cost, and this is a superb offer.

thanks for your help, ill check in later tonight

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The cabs should be excellent, but the head is really a matter of taste. Some people swear by them, but they really are extremely transparent. Depends on whether you like that, or not.
  3. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    That's the head I use and I quite enjoy it. It has been loud, clean, and reliable for the last 3 years or so. Liek The Ox said, the sound might not be exactly what you are looking for so it would be best to try it out befor eyou take the plunge. I think it sounds great but you likely have a different idea of what great sounds like.
  4. thanks guys,

Ox, what do you mean by transparent?

and trav? what kinds of music do you play? personally i play a ton of metal, and jazz for the school band, so ill need slight versatility. im not a huge tone-a-phile so i shouldnt have too much disdain for it.

how do you think it will play against a marshall mg100dfx, a 65 fender reverb custom reissue, as well as a loud drummer? if it can handle this, then its fine by me,

can you guys post pictures of that head, (preferably your actual head if you can) because i cant find much about it online, and theres nothing on the yorkville site.
  5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Basically, what goes in is what comes out. If you've got a nice bass, it'll sound good. If your bass is a real piece, then it'll sound bad.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

I've used it in a punk band and a blues/funk/rock'n'roll setting. It fit in the mix well in both scenarios. Again, like The Ox said previously, the amp won't really change the tone of the input signal excessively. As such the real versatility will come from your bass and technique.

PS. I have the BM400 Combo. It is the identical head to the one you are looking at, just bolted into a combo chassis.
  7. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    If you talk him down, grab a Sansamp BDDI. I have the 400 head with the Sansamp through an Ampeg 410. Sounds good to me and I get nice compliments on my tone.

I also use a Yorkie 100 for smaller rooms, with the Sansamp. Sounds great, too.

8. well, i play an ibanez sr400.

i am going to bring my bass with me so i know exactly how it will sound if i buy it.

thanks trav for the pics,

on a side note, does anyone know anything about the Eden Nemesis NC212?

9. im thinking bout 800CDN.

i want a sansamp, but they are sorta expensive (170) :bawl: if anyone has one used, or else i might have to get one off the 'bay.

i want the BDDI or a digitech xbd.
  10. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Actually, since it's discontinued (except for special orders), you have to dig around the site a bit:Yorkville BM400H

I had this for awhile in the 15" combo with the 2x10 extension cab...it was okay, I used a BP200 and/or the contour setting to get decent sounds. The XS400H is much better, but there are a lot of people who swear by the BM400, as mentioned previously. There's a store in Boston, the owner is on TB, I forget his name, and he's the one who gets a bunch on special order.
  11. For 1050 that's still a great deal, and a great setup, I love the head, so articulate and clear. I had the 410 and the tweeter sounded a bit harsh, but I'm used to rigs without them so dont trust me. I like the setup you have the availability to buy and was planning on owning it until I spent all my money on drums, alwell I'll save up;)
  12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    That would be Corey at Rock City Guitars in Somerville, MA.
    I bought my XM200C from him. He's a great guy.
  13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That would be the very same! He is a great guy, just haven't seen him about lately.
  14. 1. Yorkville is one of the best companies in terms of a liberal warranty. Currently, it is 10 years regradless of who purchased it and where it was purchased from. Virtually all other companies will limit warranty service to the orginal purchaser. Or, they will punish the consumers who did not get overcharged from the dealer(i.e. did not buy from "authorized" dealer). During the first 2 years, they unconditionally warrant service "even if you break it." I am having them currently service a defective x-over assembly from a PA speaker and they have been very helpful and predicted a turnaround time of 2-3 days.

2. As far as that rig, I cannot say first hand how it will sound, but I would be more interested in buying Yorkie stuff that has come out recently, namely, their XS series combos and heads and the all tube YBA.

3. Yorkville's pricing schedules strike me as very fair and reasonable for quality gear, and made in North America to boot.
  15. personally i wouldn't consider the xs400 just because the xs800h seems to prove itself as the more tweakable head and once i buy it i'll have enough power for a lifetime of gigging. i am assuming it'll get the same sound the xm200 offers and more
  16. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've used that head several times and while it has plenty of power, I find it a little time consuming tweaking the graphic to get a good tone. It was in there, just hard to find. The new XS series is far better but that old 400 is very reliable and if you get a good price it's worth buying. It should run forever.

The older Yorkville cabinets are good too. I bought a pair of the 15's used and they were very nice sounding all round cabinets. Rated for 300 watts each and pretty efficient. I still have them although I don't use them much anymore since I bought my Walkabout. I've used the Walkabout head to power one and the sound was huge.

I think you could do a bit better on the price though.
  17. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    My personal experience was that it was near impossible to keep a clean punchy sound throughout use.
    The EQ was too tough to keep a consistent sound for finger and slapping.
    Switching to any other brand....Eden at the time, was a huge improvement....to me and also my friends rig.
    I would look elsewhere
  18. thanks for all the response guys,

i like the yorkville tone, so the sound shouldnt be a problem. im wondering about volume however.

also, i dont know what the cabinets look like. anyone have pics of a 2-4 year old yorkville cabinet?
  19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Here's a link to the info on Yorkville's Two-Ten Warranty : Yorkville Warranty Info

There are some limitations, but it is one of the best warranties out there!
  20. do you have any color pictures of the whole amp?