1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville SM200TC

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sse1990, Mar 16, 2009.

1. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Well I just picked up a Yorkville XM200TC today. I liked Yorkville way back ( about 15 years ago) when I was playing and then I sold all my gear. I looked around at what I wanted and decided I wanted the XM200TC with the 2 10"s. I found one somewhat local for 380$ CAD. I know if I waited I might find something even cheaper, but this one doesn't have the carpet is has the duratex type finish on it. I don't have any pics of it yet as it is still in the back of my SUV. I am probably going to get a 15" cabinet for it also.

It calls for a minimum impedance of 4ohms for the external cabinet. I was hoping it was 8ohm, as I have a 15" 1000xatt RMS competition sub from my car audio days. I thought I would try it but it has a dual voice coil and I can wire it as 2 ohm or 8 ohm. I know I can connect an 8 ohm speaker to it but I will loose power from the higher impedance. I do have another 15" cabinet here but unsure what impedance it is.

Cant wait to try it out. Might just have to go jamming tomorrow night and drag my fiance with me after we go out for diner, lol.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If the 8 ohm extension speaker is efficient you may not notice the loss of full available power. Try it out and see first.

3. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    I have the specs for the sub, but how do I know how efficient it is?

I was thinking of trying to track down a XC115X 15" extension cabinet for it. Or another 15" cabinet that would suit it.

After a bit more reading, I see that the XC115X is an 8 ohm speaker. I thought for sure I seen 4 ohm for the XC115X. So Maybe I will just have to try my 15" in a cabinet. The XC115X is a sealed cabinet, and I already know that my sub required 2cuft sealed. Bigger for ported of course.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yeh, the wording is deceptive; the XM200T will go down to 2ohms altogether. You can add an 8 ohm cabinet no problem. You can add a 4 ohm cab too. A 4 ohm cab will take you right down to 2 ohms, give you the full 200w the amp is capable of.

5. sse1990

sse1990

Mar 12, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario

Yeah I knew that about the ohms, I've been playing with that for years in car audio, trying to get the most out of what is used. I seen that the minimum total was 2 ohms, and I wanted to get to that to get the full use of the amp. But if the external cab that they sell for it is only 8ohms then I can easily use one of my subs that I have here to build an external cab.

The sub in question is an Orion 2NT DVC 15" brand new was around 1000$ and I will be lucky to get 200$ for it now. It can handle up to 1000watts RMS and since I have it already and used to build boxes I was thinking of building an external cab and try it out. I have 2 of the 15" subs but one is in my truck right now. With the specs right from Orion, I built a sealed enclosure to 2cuft gross volume, and that thing sounds amazing for only 1 sub in a vehicle.

If I went ported enclosure it requires 2.7cuft gross, port diameter of 4" and 12" long, tuning frequency of 24hz.

So I mean for building a ported enclosure that size, it is still pretty small. I will most likely make a post in the next day or so regarding this sub and making an enclosure for it. To get opinions on it. I haven't even had a chance to try the amp out yet, but if I can get more power out of it and add a 15" to help on the low end, and I already have the sub and a cabinet that was given to me which I can take all the parts from then why not.