1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville Sound BLOC 250B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by realpity, Jun 5, 2012.

1. realpity

realpity

Apr 22, 2012
    Hello,

I have a question for those more experienced than myself, which will likely be all of you !

Since 1988 I have had a Yorkville Sound BLOC 80B 80watt combo amp with single 15" speaker.

I recently started looking around to see if I could find a second I could daisy chain it with. Unexpectedly I got offered a BLOC250B instead for $100 ! It works fine, no problems or issues so I wasn't going to pass that up !!!

Now I'm wondering, as I don't have any individual cabs, if I can use my BLOC 80B with the 250B ...

The 250 really looks like it's a head (it was sold that way too back in the day) fused to a cab with a 15" speaker. At the back of the amp are 2 speaker jacks, 8 ohms each, one is used by the existing speaker and gives the amp 175watts.

Now, can I run the BLOC 80 a a cab through it's line out at the back to the 250's second speaker jack ... bypassing the 80's power amp so's not to blow it up and just using the 250's.

If this doesn't pose a hazard to the 80 and is doable will I then get the full 250 watts or 175 still but through 2 speakers for a (hopefully) fuller sound ?

Thanks.

2. You shouldn't connect the line out to the 250Bs speaker out. It might damage the Block80.

It sounds like you want to run both amps and both speakers to get the most volume you can?? If that's the case you can slave the line out of either amp into the input or effect return of the other. The best case is to use the effects return as the input for the second amp as that usually bypasses the internal preamp of the amp. Then just use the second amps Master control to balance the amps volume with the first. The first amps Master should then control the volume of both amps.

3. realpity

realpity

Apr 22, 2012
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply !
    Basically all I'm wanting to do is use the BLOC80 as a speaker cab so I have 2 15"'s pumping out the sound ... not worried about more volume or power, if the BLOC80 can be used as a speaker cab, just running the sound through the BLOC 250's amp. I'm fine with things still being 175 watts rather than 250.
    All this is because I don't have a separate speaker cab ... yet :)

4. Ah. I see. I still think your better off slaving the signal from the 250B into the 80 because the speaker in the 80 is likely a different driver with different power handling.... But you could re-wire the combo with a jack and switch to isolate the combo's amp from the speaker.

5. realpity

realpity

Apr 22, 2012
    You're right on the different drivers, I read a spec sheet that lists them.
    Thanks for the help, I think I'll stick with separate amps: little home practice one and jam one and keep my eye open for a cab.

6. Why would an 8 ohm speaker only produce 175 watts when the amp is rated as a 250 watt amp?

BTW, I am looking into a Yorkville sound bloc 250B and need to know how to get the full 250 watts.

7. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Cape Cod
    By using 2 x 8 ohm, or a single 4 ohm, cab. These heads are beasts, and produce a very "loud" 250 watts! I stacked mine with two Carvin RS 115-8 for a great sound. They can also really take a beating. I also used it for years with a 4 ohm 2x12 on the deck of a ferry. That rig (with the 2x12)lives on in a practice space! I think I bought the head 20 years ago... for 100$, but honestly it's "worth" three times that, even now. It's powerful and has enough tone shaping to get different sounds. The compressor works well, too. That may be why I got as much volume as I did:). I highly recommend that amp.

8. Thanks Klyph. I was under the impression that 1 8ohm cabinet would get you the full 250 watts. I guess you are never too old to learn something new.

9. +1 on it being a "loud" 250 watts. I used to use it with an old Fender 4X12. I rode that amp hard, never broke down. The thermal protection saves its own butt. Still have it in my practice room. Just clean and lube the pots every few years.