Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville Tone difference between the XM200 and XM200T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Feb 23, 2003.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Any of you guys that have had the opportunity to try both of these amps out Is there a big difference in tone and if so which do you prefer? There are no Yorkville dealers in my area so I can't try them out for myself. I am considering buying one of these and have not made up my mind which way to go.:confused:

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The XM200 has great low end definition...the XM200T has punchy mids and good overall definintion. I wouldn't suggest it (the XM200T) for a 5 string bass though, as it doesn't (IMO) track the low B string very well...but if you're into funky stuff, it works great for a 4 string. Both amps are excellent in both quality and tone at a great price!

Sorry you don't have a dealer near by...I work for Yorkville's parent company, I can try and find out how you can try them out if you wish?

3. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Hey Thanks alot for the input, You have helped me more than you know. I play mostly five string so I will be going with the XM200. Do you know if the 200 watt rating is the combo itself or would I need to get an extension cab to get the full power, if I do need an extension cab then how many watts does the combo itself put out? Would it be worth getting the extension cab?

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I know you have to have the extension cab to have the full 200 watts...I think it's rated at 120W or 150W without it.

I suggest that you get a 2x10 extension cabinet. A lot of bass players buy or rent either the XM200 or BM 400 with the XC210 extension cab and get awesome results! (I used to use a BM400 and BM210 as my rig before I went head and cab.)

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

:bassist:

5. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks again.:)