Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville VS Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joshsmog, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Yorkville

9 vote(s)
    36.0%
  2. Avatar

16 vote(s)
    64.0%
  1. just wondering who thinks whats better as i never played an avatar i wanna see what peoples opinions on them compared to yorkville.

2. anyone that has played their 2x10 care to share their experiences?

3. yorkville..... XC410 4x10 cab

Program Power (Watts) 600
    Impedance (Ohms) 8
    4 x 10 inch / 150 watts each
    1 inch Horn
    Frequency Response (Hz +/-3dB) 40 to 15000
    Dimensions (DWH, inches) 15 x 23 x 26
    Dimensions (DWH, cm) 39 x 58 x 65
    Weight (lbs / kg) 81 / 37
    XC410 $649.00

350 watts RMS each speaker.
    1400 WATTS RMS
    Foster high frequency compression horn tweeter
    Available in either a 4 ohm cab or an 8 ohm cab.
    Weight 85 lbs.
    tuned to 65 Hz and the -3dB is 84 Hz.
    Dimensions 27H x 25W x 16.5D
    Price: $339.

I dunno... the specs on the Avatar seem ALOT better than the Yorkville. More than double the handling, about the same weight, a little less frequency response, the dimensions are similar, and the Avatar is cheaper.

IS there a choice?

4. thanks for the spec scrounging thats pretty helpful in making my decision, anyone else?

5. The avatar is only 339 canadian? I'm pretty sure Avatar doesn't ship outside u.s.

6. Yeah your right, they ship to U.S and Canada, my bad.

7. smash thanks for that info, I have some yorkville 1x15's and was thinking about getting some avatar stuff but didnt know if it would be an upgrade or the same or what. what does the avatar 2x12 and the 2x10 sound like? lotsa mids or do they have a scooped sound? thanks.

8. my bad.. i forgot the yorkville prices were CAN.

9. avatars in the lead so far, more votes plz!

10. I like my yorkie, but I have never tried avatar, as there is nowhere really to try them around here. I am really doubting the 1400 watt rating from a 4x10, especially an avatar. Specs are quite often off, although any 4x10 will be plenty loud. My vote still goes for yorkie!

11. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    avatars have eminence speakers :D

12. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted for Avatar. I plan on buying a few of their cabs over the next few months. The cabs i plan on buying are: 2X10,4X10, and 1X15. This in my mind [and my dad agrees] would give plenty of options as far as what i need for when/where. The situations in which i play vary from outside in football stadiums to musical pits etc. I have talked to several people that own avatars and i don't think i will be disapointed. I play a stingray5 through a recently bought SansAmp RBI patched into the effects return of my bassman 200 [bypassing the internal preamp]. I will be adding a carvin DCM2000 so that i will have plenty of power. That's all

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I agree that specs don't say everything, and I've never played either cab, but Avatar does use "name" Eminence drivers and I'm sure the wattage adds up to 1400. What drivers does Yorkville use?

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never played either, but Avatar has a better rep, and that's what I'd buy.

15. How many watts of clean power do you think the Avatar 4x10 could actually take? I doubt it could take a full 1400...:meh:

16. I'm sure you could probably pump a good 800+ W through the Avatar... but i've never tried one.

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i've bridged 1800 into an avatar 410... but only used half the power or so because the cabs are so efficient. always kept it clean with mucho headroom to spare. it did fine as long as you took it easy on the B string and the EQ'ing of bass overall... very loud, pretty deep. yorkville stuff is OK but, personally, i feel you really can't go wrong with avatar. ;)

18. looks like avatar won, thanks everyone ill probly get avatar 2x10 or 2x12 sometime in the future.