Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XB200 Extension

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bill7122, Oct 11, 2003.

1. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    I'm thinking about a 2x10 extension cab to go with my XB200.

Needs to be 4ohm. That really limits the field.

Would Avatar or Carvin be good choices? Both make 4 ohm 2x10s and are not really that expensive. Avatar rates their cab at 500watts RMS. Is that overstated, or would the XB push it OK?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I purchased the XB 200 with help from Talkbass forum members, and you folks gave me good advice.

Bill

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Go Yorkville of course.
    It doesn't NEEd to be 4 ohms.
    8 are acceptable too.

3. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    That is another choice with their 2x10 cab. Just tryin' for the best value for about $250 or so that will balance well with the XB200's 15". I like to buy new cause of the warranty.

The XB 200 says 4ohms. Don't I need 2x the power to push 8ohms? At least that was I think is correct. Please correct me (anybody) if I'm wrong. :meh:

Baker

4. Jazz Ad

Well, yes, you're completely wrong. :p
    First, your amp is a XM-200. There is no such thing as a XB-200.
    Then, in the back it reads 4 ohm MINIMUM load. Which means you can plug any cab 4 ohm or higher.
    An 8 ohm cab will do fine. Get the yorkville. It will sound fine and look better.
    Finally, 8 ohms pull half the power 4 ohms would on an amp.
    [​IMG]

5. bill7122

bill7122

Feb 23, 2003
    Albany NY area
    Thanks for the info! I'm just a little confused on the ohm thing, always have been. Always tried to use matching ohms!!! Ohm, ohm on the range.........

Baker:D

6. Just want to add the old formula:

CB1 = Cab 1 ohm rating
    CB2 = Cab 2 ohm rating

Total = (CB1 x CB2) / (CB1 + CB2)

So if you bought a 2ohm cab, you would get:

(4 x 2) / (4 + 2) = 1.333

And since 1.333 is less than the maximum rating of 2ohm for the combo, you get a blown amp.

BTW, bill7122, I would be interested in a follow-up post after you buy the additional cab. I have been interested in getting a 2x10 for my Yorkville 200B (the model that precedes yours) and would be interested in knowing if you get a noticable increase in volume. I think the total power rating increases by only 30 watts if you add a second cab but you push more air.

7. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    bill7122: you're not the only confused person about the ohm thing. i always have been too. this helps a bit. ive been looking at lower priced amps and i came across the xm200 and read some reviews and now im pretty much sold on it. i was wandering about the extension cab thing too. let us know how it all works out. thanks for clearing some things up for me.

8. I just checked the manuals and specs on the XM400. The rated power of 200 watts is measured at 2 Ohms which is also the lowest impedance you can use with this amp. The internal speaker is 4 Ohms, and the external cabinet should also be 4 Ohms, for a total of 2 Ohms. If you use an 8 ohm cabinet you will be fine, but will not get the full rated power of the amp. Stick with a 4 Ohm extension cabinet if possible for the best results.

It should have more power with TWO 4 Ohm cabinets, as the amplifier will only put out something in the order of 135 watts at the 4 Ohm load (when you're using just the internal speaker).

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey, you can't add a 4 ohm cabinet to that combo...that would take the impedence down to 2.6 ohms, and the lowest impedence is 4 ohms!

The XM200 can take one other cab that's 8 ohms in resistance...the internal 15" speaker is rated at 8 ohms as well...that would then the total impedence will be 4 ohms.

Oddio, I dunno where you would have read those specs...neither there is currently no amp in the Bassmaster line that goes down to 2 ohms. I've owned Yorkville amps, and played through them for many years...and now I work for a company that not only sells them on a daily basis, but also "owns" the company that manufactures them! Believe me, as rabid_granny said, if you add a 4 ohm cabinet to that combo, you're gonna fry that amp!!!

:meh:

10. I'm pretty sure you can hook up a 4ohm cab to the combo without frying it. I checked the manual from Yorkville.com and it says that the cab in the combo is rated @ 4ohm and the combo's minimum impedance is 2ohms.

Yorkville XM200 Manual (PDF)

11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    So can you hook up a 4-ohm extension cab or not?

That would be awesome if you could hook up 2 of the yorkville 410 cabs to the combo. A stack to rival the guitarist's in height.:bassist:

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Guess my idea can be done. Rock. :bassist:

13. Jazz Ad

Totally wrong.
    The internal speaker is 4 ohms and the amp goes down to 2 without a single problem.
    It's in the specs and it's reality, too.
    It's ben this way for years.

14. Jazz Ad

That's wrong too.
    If you hook up a 2 ohm cabinet you will bring down the total impedance to 1.33 and that WILL fry the amp.

2 or 2.66 ohms also won't make a big difference in volume.
    Damn. Additionnal cab must be 4 ohms minimum. Is it that hard to understand ?

15. *Sigh*

I keep editing this post, mostly because I don't want the tone to come across as unfriendly.

Firstly, go and read the specs on your own site here: Specs. Now, read 'em again very carefully and check my original post which is correct. Clear enough?

Please, do yourself and L&M customers a service and stay off the sales floor unless you are armed with appropriate spec sheets and have read and understood them fully. :rolleyes:

Summary - 4 Ohms in the combo plus 4 Ohms external speaker is correct (2 Ohm total impedance).

Thanks for the backup, Jazz Ad.

PS - As someone mentioned this, here's my '71 "Yorkville combo" (front grilles off) which is almost the same height as a g**tarist: Yorkville

16. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    There must be some mistake, if there's not, I'll own up that I'm wrong...but as far as we know/been told, that amp is 4 ohm minimum. I'll copy the back of the amp and post the specs later tonite or tomorrow.

17. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    The specs oddio posted show that particular amp able to run at 2 ohms minimum. This is the case for a lot of combo amps that accomodate an extension cab. In this case it is ideal to connect a 4 ohm ext cab for a total impedance of 2 ohms. That is all... :D

18. Rev, I think you might be confusing your old BM specs with the newer XM models. It's easy enough to be out of date with info. Here's your very own spec sheet (courtesy Yorkville):

[​IMG]

19. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Okay, I'm at work now and logging in (against policy, but this is really bugging me!) I asked the head of our bass dept. what the minimum impedence was, and he said "4 ohms". We read the back of the speaker and there's two lines there:

"Extension
    speaker output"

and then in brackets under that:

"(4 ohm minimum)"

So, then his and my question becomes "does that mean 4 ohm minimum for the amp, or for the extension?" On every other amp we have here, the specs back up that that it's 4 ohm minimum for the amp when that's written on the back of the amp. It appears though, backed up by the specs on the Yorkville site, that this means that the 4 ohm minimum applies to the extension cabinet and not the amp itself...which doesn't make sense to us, unless Yorkville plans on coming out with a 4 ohm cabinet in the future...and I've confirmed that in the current lineup, all the cabinets are 8 ohm!

A discussion with our local rep to follow, but for now, I have to say y'all seem to be right, and I/we were wrong...

:eek:

20. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    That refers to the extension cab which should be a minimum of 4 ohms.