Yorkville xc115x or xc410?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by modulus, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Hey! I have the Yorkville XS400T combo and i love it to smithereens...however i want to get an extension cabinet for it. I'm debating between the XC115X (not to be confused with the XC115) and the XC410. I'm looking for a really growly, punchy sound that hits you right in the gut, and has a tight, none boomy, well defined bottom end. (mmm i love tight, well defined bottom ends... :p ) Anybody have any ideas on which cabinet would best fit the bill? Thanks in advance for takin the time to help me out!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

suprised nobody's responded to this thread, maybe after comment they will.

I don't know what speakers are in the cab but adding a 15 would more likely give you a less defined more mid tone(depending on the size of the cab and speaker). It takes a large cab to pull the bottom out of 15 otherwise it will be more mids. 10's sound's like more of what you're looking for.

In my limited experience with messing with extension speakers/cabs through a combo - which doesn't include a 410, the result has been a complimentary sound not a different one. Basically the same sound with more highs, more full, along those lines. Also the difference has been minimal in terms of output variation, more a tonal variation, and the lower the frequencies added the less variation in apparent output.

In a nutshell, if you're not getting that already, I wouldn't count on it with an extension. If the amp has a 15 you may rig it up to run the 4x10 straight off the amp to get more of what you want.

The 15 is unlikely to be more tight than 10's. I've had plenty of 15's and you can get a tight enough tone depending on the speaker and your needs but comparatively it'd have to be more of an exception in a 15 and some pretty suck 10's. Just not inherent in the design. Same with tonal definition and punch for the most part. Punch in the gut thing has a lot to do with the instrument, eq'ing, output, and is more of a putting out a directional directional focused tone when it comes to speakers, more likely in 10's but I've gotten it with 15's. Boominess is more likely in a 15 as well but not an issue with a decent speaker with proper eq'ing less acoustic issues. Growl is not so much a speaker quality as what's in the signal chain up to that point and their settings. I suppose some speakers may bring out growl more than others but I can't say as it's something I've experienced.
  3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    You don't want a XC115X for that application, get the XC115. It sounds WAY better and will fit properly underneath your combo. I'd take the XC115 over the XC410 for that job anyday.
  4. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I agree with Subculture on that. i've used both and prefer the 15.
  5. Thanks for the replies. luknfur the combo has two tens in it would those not give me more of a mid rangey sound than a 15?

subculture, what is the difference between the xc115 and the xc115x besides the tweeter in the xc115?

Thanks for your help guys!
  6. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The XC115Xis a smaller, sealed cabinet. The XC115 with tweeter is a larger ported cabinet. The 15s are also different. Check the Yorkville Sound site for more info.

Yorkville also has a 210 that would sound good. All depends on what you like best.
  7. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    It depends on variables which other guys in this forum know a lot better than I do. I primarily responded figuring others would jump in and you'd get some Yorkie users - I've never had a York but plenty of guys have. I would go with the Yorkie first hand experience over anything I have to say - especially if you get consistency in response. And if there's any way to check it out firsthand for yourself before you buy or have the option to return if it undesireable, I'd would do that.

But like I said, a large speaker is not made for a small box and when you stick one in one, you snip the nards. Porting will help some but can only do so much. I've got a 15 in a small sealed Poly combo with active 3 band and 2 band channels and it is HEAVY on mids. The Aggie GS112 I've got has significantly lower frequency output. I'm guessing the GS112 is 2/3's larger for that 12 than the Poly is for the 15 - and the 12's ported while 15 is sealed.

I recently bought another cab and was considering some different alternatives when I ran across a piece about conflicting frequencies using different cabs - okay if they dont cover the same frequency range, problematic if they do, primarily in low end. I wanted the option to mix low ends so I went a second GS 112 - which is against my grain cause I don't like having two of the same of anything as a rule. But I ran into the incompatible frequency mix enough messing around with extension speakers with combos to where I knew I didn't want any of that. Two of same cabs really sound like more of the same to me but I like the GS 112 anyway, it beats incompatible frequency mixes, and a GS 112 on the floor and one elevated accentuate different portions of the spectrum.