Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XC800H vs. GK 1001rb-II vs. Kustom Groovebass 1200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by S. Byrnes, Feb 27, 2005.

1. They all put out around 800watts and cost around $600. Please add any others that fit the criteria. I'm gonna pick up an Avatar 2x12 and 4x10neo hopefully by April, and I'm playing rock, punk, and metal. I need some versatilty and reliability. I like bright articulate clean tones, but I also like dirty overdrive for some things, so the Yorkville is attractive in that respect. Any clear winner here?

edit: My loud metal band is playing a 2,000+ person club in april, and I could be playing big ballrooms and clubs soon. (All with PA support)

2. I'd go for the gk. I have used a yorkville since the xs400 came out, and found them to be too muddy. It was nice and cheap though :) Yorkville is a good company who makes reliable, and very reasonably priced equipment, but I think I have grown out of it already. Gallien Krueger has a very nice, growly tone that is very easy to make dirty.That would be my choice.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Don't rule out used gear. Check out local bass shops and see if they have used tube amps, as you cannot do better than tube for metal and rock.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Try find a used GK2001 IMO. If not that, get the 1001 and either the GK pedal (Uses 2001 OD circuitry). I think the GK would give you the clean tone your looking for. They're dam punchy too.

5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry, I can't speak with authority on the Yorkville or Kustom, but "bright & articulate" is an apt description for the GK, at least according to my ears. Turning up the boost control will add more growl to the tone, but the GK won't give you a real dirty overdrive without some help, unless you're considering a 2001RB (I have a 1001RB-II, and I enlist the help of a SansAmp BDDI for that purpose).

- Ugly.

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I agree w Ugly. The GK won't get gritty, but does sound nice and bright when running clean. I almost took the GK plunge but am glad that I ultimately went with the Kustom. It does not get quite as bright as the GK when running clean (but pretty close). It will however get nice and gritty when you crank the gain knob. This thing has SERIOUS tone (I can't stress this enough)! I'm playing it through two Avatar cabs (B210 on top of a SB112). I'm running two 8 ohm cabs so I'm getting 800+ watts out of the head (it will run 1200 watts @ 2ohms). My advice, try and find a store that has both in stock to test. Some online places will allow you to return w/o a restocking fee (but you will still have to pay for return shipping). I really couldn't be happier with my Kustom. They can be had for about $500 on Ebay or if you find a local dealer who is willing to deal. I wish another TBer would get one of these and back me up! These Kustom heads are the deal of the century!

7. go for the gk dude!!!! EXTREMLY LOUD AND ONLY WEIGHS 18 pounds!!!!!!!!!!!!! iv tried the kustom with a 2x15 and it wasnt very loud and the tone was all right but ordinary, i tried the gk with 2 1x12 cabs and it totally was punchyer and much louder.

8. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    I tried the Yorkville and GK right next to each other on the same cab and decided to order the Yorkville. People that say Yorkville is too muddy don't know how to work the controls.

If you want a warm, dark and smooth sound go with Yorkville.

If you want a punchy, tight, gritty sound go with GK.

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Not trying to knock your post fenderbluesdude (heck, I love my GK :cool: ), but you've got to admit it's a lot harder to compare two pieces of gear without minimizing the other variables. It would be a much fairer comparison if the bass, cabinet(s) and environment were the same and the only difference was the head. For example, I can easily see where two 1x12" cabinets would contribute to a punchier sound than a 2x15".

Just my 2cents :smug:

- Ugly.

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    gritty? maybe the older "Mark I" GK heads... but I wouldn't use that word to describe the Mark II series.

11. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Yes, that is why he should listen to me, because tested the 2 amps pluged into the same cab at the same place and same time with the same guitar.

They sound diffrent, but are equally as good. He just needs to try and decide.

12. yea ture, but common, 2 1x12s bering louder than 2x15s!!! i was just tryingb to state the gk is a much louder head.

13. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Well I wanted it gritty. lol. I had them both "distorted." The GK can sound as clean as you want it to. Both amps do clean equally as well, so no point in discussing that.

14. Get the GK. I find it fairly easy to get a gritty tone with my StingRay 5.

15. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Ok, now you are talking nonsense. Is a GK as good as a Yorkville? Yeah. Is a GK much louder then a Yorkville? No. Infact, the Yorkville is louder. Are you confusing the xs400h with the xs800h?

Your biased "opinions" arent helping anyone.

16. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    DO NOT just automatically just get the GK because other GK users are giving forth their baised opinions.

I went into a music store expecting to like the GK more, but ended up liking the xs800h more after I tried them both out. You just have to try it yourself and not listen to others.

All the GK owners witll say buy the GK and all the Yorkville owners will say buy the Yorkville.

17. i said kustom not yorkville dude, i compared the kustom agians the gk, yes with different cabinets.

18. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    [Soap Box Rant = ON]
    Sorry, not me :eyebrow: ... I'm happy to give my opinions on what I like (and dislike) about any gear I own, owned or have a fair amount of experience playing through. I'll also try to make gear recommendations based on what I know about a piece of gear if I feel it fits with what someone else is looking for. But I don't need everyone else (or anyone else for that matter) to agree with me to validate my purchasing decisions, nor do I feel the need to push the gear that prefer down anyone's throat. I'm extremely happy that there are so many qualified options in all shapes, sizes, flavors and price ranges available to us as musicians, and I believe that the "one size fit's all" mentality is not particulary conducive to a musician's point of view.
    [Soap Box Rant = OFF]

- Me.

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    get the GK, don't listen to special ed

20. Awesome, I'll try to get around to the music stores around here to see if anyone is selling the Yorkville and the Kustom so I can try them out. My band made a live promo video tonight and I used the studio's 800rb and no name 4x10" with good results. The stage volume I would've like a little louder, but that head is only 300 watts. At certain times I would've like just a little bit more warmth, but overall I was very pleased with the sound. I've used the 1001rb-II in the studio too so I'm liking GK right now. Its still a tough one having not heard the other two. How would the other two compare soundwise to Ampeg SVT and SWR X heads?