1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Yorkville XC808

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by americanmade, May 6, 2005.

1. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    I am really interested in buying one of these to create my first real gigging rig. I want an old school sound that can make your bowels release and thought this would be a good way to go. Aside from the weight (>100lbs), are there any other concerns I should look at with this cabinet? I was thinking of pairing it with either a Groove Bass head or the Traynor YBA200. Unfortunately, I have not found a place in the Chicagoland area that stocks any of these really. I play fast ska/punk music with running bass lines. I like to slap, but is is NOT a priority as I never use it with the bands I play in. I want a warm sound, but I want it to be versatile and able to cut through a couple of guitarists playing half stacks or large combos. I like ampeg, but think that sound is over-used and not very versatile. GK and SWR is a little sterile for my likeing, but the SWR 350 was nice. If anybody knows a store around Chicago (preferably the Western suburbs) that stocks Traynors and Yorkvilles, please let me know. I was quoted $615 (American) each for Traynor head and XC808. I think that is a fair price for the cab, but I've heard of the head selling for cheaper. I seem to be rambling, so I'll try to bring it all together. I want an old school sound (I play a p-bass or a jazz bass depending on my mood) but I want versatility as well. Is this a good cab to consider? I think I've read enough on here about the heads to know that they are pretty well liked. I'm always open to suggestions, but I want big sound (to compensate for small size elsewhere?) Either way, I'll listen to whatever advice you gus have for me.
    Thanks a lot even just for reading this whole post.

2. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

Rev Groove and Turlu have a few threads on these cabs. See if you can find some of their posts.

I played one briefly with the YBA200, and it sounded pretty balanced top to bottom. I haven't played live with one though, which is the true test.

3. americanamde,

I actually have a Traynonr YBA200 paired with my XC808 as a tryout. I love it so much that I really think of buying one, this because I already have a XS800H. It`s so clean Tone, and pure, a tiny bit hi-fi but lots of warmth !!!!

This head sounds so much better through the XC808 than with the matching cabinet 2X10 and 1X15 !!! It has tons of warmth and I actually had a good overdrive Tone out of it, as well as a good Slap Tone too, so, this is a versatile kit, and I like them that way.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    Tonight I got to play through an old Traynor bassmaster 200 head, (the YBA200's grandfather), through a mesa 2x15 cab. the head sounds amazing, from what I've heard the new ones sound just as good. The only thing I could hope for is more articulation, which I'm sure the 808 would provide, but I'll find out thursday when I go try one out at the store.

5. americanmade

americanmade

Feb 12, 2005
    Well, it sounds like the XC808 would make a pretty unstoppable rig; I still have to decide on a head, though. If anybody in or around the greater Chicagoland area knows where I can try either a YBA200 or Groove Bass, I'd like to hear.