1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville xm100 - repair help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Subscript, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Subscript

Subscript Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    The input on my XM100 is sometimes cutting out. slightly pushing down on the end of my cord so that the input moves generally fixes it when this happens so I'm pretty confident it's just a loose connection behind the input.

The problem is I can't exactly figure out how to get back there. Removing the more obvious screws isn't helping. I don't want to send it to a repair shop because I'm sure it would be an easy fix if I could just get it apart. Can anyone offer any advice?

2. Have you tried a different guitar cord? The solder breaks on the input wire on them all the time. Very easy fix.

Your input jack is isolated- ie made out of plastic. It also shorts when your cord is removed. You will need to replace it with one that is exactly like the original one.

If you cannot get the amp apart, you should not be soldering on the boards in it. Amps are not practice toys. Broken and dead electronics are practice toys.

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Take it to a repair guy who knows how to do the job right. It's a simple enough fix for someone with experience. I'd say the input jack itself is bad or, more likely, it needs to be resoldered to the board. Common problem on many amps. The plug on the end of the instrument cable gets banged into and flexes the jack and eventually breaks the solder connection, or puts a fine crack in the traces in the board and you get an intermittent connection. Part of the cost of owning instruments and amplifiers is a certain amount of money for maintenance and repair, same as owning a car.

But, do check for a bad instrument cable first. You might just luck out.