Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XM100C

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PlayBass, Oct 10, 2005.

1. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    I bought my new Yorkville XM100C a few weeks ago and so far so good.

It's a 100 watt bass amp with a scoop control. I've used the scoop control several times and I can't find much of a difference in the tone. I use a Precision bass if that helps.

What is the scoop control for?

2. Jimmy P.

Jimmy P.

Apr 5, 2005
    Tokyo, Japan
    My Fender combo also has a scoop control button. According to the owner's manual, it "cuts mid-frequencies and emphasizes bass and treble tones." To my ear, it makes the sound hollow and muffled, so I never use it.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The Scoop knob on the XM/XS series of BassMaster Amps replaces the "Contour" switch found on the old BM series, which the X series replaced.

From the XM100C Manual:

Not much of a real explanation, however, if you look at the description for the XS amps, you'll get a much better idea of how this control functions

From the XS400T Manual:

While the Scoop function on the XS series amps has a much more dramatic effect on your tone than that of the XM (see last sentence), you should still here a significant difference when turning the knob on the XM amps.

I haven't really played much with the XM100Cs, but I suggest setting your EQ to taste first, and then have someone slowly turn the scoop knob while you play, you should here some difference.

4. PlayBass

PlayBass

Aug 20, 2005
    Alright, thanks a lot guys.