Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XM200 or Fender Bassman 100?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TampaBlues, Feb 18, 2003.

1. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I have never heard any Yorkville products (there are none in my area). If any of you tried the Yorkville XM200, maybe you could share some of your thoughts on it. How does it compare to the Fender Bassman 100 tone wise etc..:confused:
    [​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I've never played or heard a yorkville, but i know someone who has one, and he likes it, but those Fender bassman seires are great. I;ve played the 25 and 60watt versions in a band practice-situation, and the 25 is not that loud, but the 60 was perfect. Ive only played the 100 in guitar center, but it has similar tone to the 25 and 60, but its louder.

I would go for the fender, just my prefrence. If you have the money, check out the bassman 200 and 400 watt amps.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Last summer I caught a local band a couple of times where the bassist used a Yorkville combo with a single 15. Sounded great with his MIM P bass with Fralin pup. Really punchy and toneful.

I haven't tried any of the newer Fender amps to offer a comparison.

4. I have an older Yorkville 200B combo (and I'm quite proud of it). I haven't played through a Bassman in a while but I can tell you that the Yorkville tone sounds a bit cardboard-like...but I use a Sansamp BDDI on the SVT setting so the tone is quite acceptable now.

The XM200 has a few major advantages: First, it offers more power at a lower price - volume won't be a problem. Second, it has a 2/10 warranty where you can destroy the amp in the first two years and they'll replace it, no questions asked. Third, it can take an extension cabinet (4ohms) whereas the Bassman cannot (well, the specs don't say it can).