Yorkville xm200 vs. Ampeg b100r

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Deepwoods, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I have been using my Ampeg b100r lately for strictly on-stage monitoring. The band has JBL stacks out front with 18" bottoms. I run a Sansamp bass driver in front of the Ampeg with the line out of the Sansamp direct to the board. It's been working out pretty great for the most part with my custom P-bass (badass bridge and quarter pounder p/u). I put the amp on a stand angled at my head. Being one to try to fix something that's not necessarily broken, I ordered a Yorkville xm200 (15"+horn). Here is my thinking:

front ported willbe possibly more punchy and less boomy in some situations (not a fan of 2x10's as a standalone)

horn will add some top end dynamics

up to 200 watts with an extension speaker. I have an 8 ohm avatar 2x10" that I can drag out for larger indoor stages. More versatility.

Effects loop so I can bypass the internal preamp and just use the Sansamp if I wish

Does this make sense? I will probably keep the b100r as a practice amp as I can't see myself parting with it. I'm just looking for validation here as I wait for my new combo to arrive. Thanks in advance for any comments!
  2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I have a B100R I use as a practice amp & will record with occasionally. I don't know if it would hang at max volume in a live situation with my band, but I love that little amp. Great classic tone in a solid state package.

As for Yorkville - I LOVE THEIR STUFF. Best kept secret in bass amplification IMHO. I had a Bassmaster 200 combo that I wish I would have kept. Currently my main rig is a Yorkville XS400 hybrid head with the matching XC115 cabinet. Great punch, warmth & growl. I run a T-bird, 3 Ricks & a jazz bass through it & they all sound great. Their gear is the best bang for your buck man. You won't be disappointed in your purchase.
  3. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    Thanks for the co-sign. Yea, I'm too old to get caught up in the name game. If it sounds good and gets the job done I'm sold. I would prefer the hybrid combo but with the Sansamp it's moot and I would rather not pack around the extra weight.
  4. nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    This settled it for me.
    I took my Lakland 55-94 and A/B'd my Bassmaster 200 combo (200 watts into a 15) against my SM-400S with a Bigfoot cab (500 watts into a pair of 12s) and the Yorkie was clearly better. Not only WAY louder, but better tonally.
    I was PO'd that I spent all that money on the SM-400S until I paired it with an Eden 410XLT (which sounds intoxicating), but when it comes down to it, I paid $300 for the Yorkie and $1100 for the SM-400S and Eden.

Yorkie is here to stay.
  5. Deepwoods

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I'm proud to be a weinie. Maybe from here on out combo amps shall be affectionately know as weinies. Then I could confidently say "I have a 15" weinie".