1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville XM200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David12390, Mar 12, 2009.

1. David12390

David12390

Jan 3, 2009
    Whoops, wrong forum. I apologize.

Yorkville-XM-200-TC-Basscombo.

Has anyone every played through one before? I'm considering purchasing one for $300(second hand, but in good condition), but I unfortunately will not be able to try it before the purchase, so I'm looking for opinions on it's sound quality, tone control, and if it's worth the amount I'm paying.

Some specifications:
    * b impedance: 4 ohms
    * Minimum impedance: 2 ohms
    * Power: 200 watts
    * Speaker: 15" for XM200, 2 x 10" for XM200T
    * Both have piezo horn tweeter
    * Limiter
    * Hum and noise: -90dB unweighted/-94dB weighted
    * Input channels: one
    * Controls: Volume, bass, lo-mid, hi-mid, treble, scoop contour

* Switches: limiter off/on, DI out pre/post EQ, mute
    * Effects loop (front panel)
    * XLR line out, pre or post EQ
    * Extension speaker out (rear panel)
    * Headphone jack (unbalanced line out)
    * Thermal and short circuit protection
    * LED indicator for power on
    * XM200 dimensions: 21" x 231Z2"H x 14" - weight: 57 lbs.
    * XM200T dimensions: 22" W x 23"H x 14"D - weight: 58 lbs.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I owned the 2x10" version for a year but also tried out the 1x15" version side by side with it. It's a good amp for the money. Louder than you'd expect for a 200 watt (maximum with an extension cabinet) combo. The 2x10 projects better than the 15" combo. The 1x15" sounds fatter and warmer up close. With a Yorkville 1x15 extension cabinet is could handle some fairly large rooms on its own but even without was great for smaller rooms.

Tone controls work well as do the other goodies like the direct out and effects loop and mute switch. My only complaint with the amp was the weight and the single top handle which makes it a bear to carry around.

But it sounds pretty good and is very reliable. I paid $599 Canadian for mine new. I'd say $300 for a used one if it's in great shape is worth it. Try for $250.

3. tapp01

tapp01

Apr 10, 2008
    Wilmington, NC
    ^+1

I love mine and 62bass's mini-review is spot-on. I got the the 1x15 model but I just prefer the deep lows of a 15 inch driver. I paid $400 for mine new so $300 used is a good deal but with today's economic woes, I would try for less.

4. Robert Sjea

Robert Sjea

Mar 19, 2008
    St. Louis
    I just got one for $170. I prefer 10"s but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

5. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you can find a Yorkville BM400 then I'd say go for THAT.
    One of my favourite combos ever.
    Amazing punchy pre, simple controls.

Built like a tank.

6. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    And to answer the OP's question...it's alright. Nothing amazing for bass with drums and guitar (though it might be great for acoustic guitar)

I suppose it all depends on your uses.

The BM400? Great.

7. babebambi

babebambi

Jan 7, 2008
    YTZ
    Plus one, it was my first real amp.
    Built like a tank, as most Yorkville gears are.

8. I have the 1x15 and it's never let me down. It really is a beast to carry. Solution: I put a handle on either side which makes stairs a lot easier and casters (1 locking) so i could roll it, dragging from the the top handle. Made a huge difference!!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Here ya go: an actual XM200 stack:

0afd4fcb-2ef0-47a2-8a3d-fe7f4e3ccecb_zps3faf1932.

You can do better with a $300 budget IMO. I wouldn't offer more than $175 for the single 15" model.

Riis

10. 6 years too late?

11. Six years lol!
    I picked up a used version of the 1x15 cab for my rehearsal space. It lasted about 6 months! Don't want to be a downer, but the cab felt like it was designed in "Mudville" and then someone put a blanket over the cab.
    I got it cheap during L&M's year end clear out sale. As mentioned, it's a bear to move, especially up stairs.
    I guess it's decent enough for those on a tight budget...
    Fishheadjoe

12. I'd try to talk them down to $200, but yeah, it's a damn good amp, I've got the extension cab and I can't sound bad through that thing.

13. I just purchased 2 of the single 15 cabs. The XC115XC. IMHO they sound great with my 800RB powering them! Couldn't be happier and they aren't heavy at all! Two gigs and a half dozen practices and I'm glad I made the switch.