Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XM200T combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Mar 14, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I know Ive been a little crazy with the combo buisness and all lately,but can anyone shed some light (opinions,expeiriences,etc.) on Yorkville bass amps.Also,this bass master 210 combo amp Im reading up seems to be pretty good for only $520 (I got $410).Anything will do.....

2. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I recently auditioned one. It sounds very good and is a loud 200 watts. The contour knob (mid scoop) is a great feature. Has that hi-fi sound going on. I a/b it next to the workingman's 210c by SWR and liked the yorkie better. It has no tweeter defeat and gets a bit hissy at high volumes and it only has a top strap handle and no casters are the only low points IMO. Very well built amp. Check it out.

3. I play through a BM200T. it's the older blue carpet version. i think it's a pretty good little amp. i'd like something with a bit more power, but before i give up on this amp, i'm going to try it with a 15 ext. cab. without, it only runs at 150 watts.

carrying it with the strap handle is a pain. I added my own casters, and a rope to pull it along......

had it for 4 years, never had anything to wrong. yorkvilles are built to last.

I highly recommend it.

4. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    I agree with Deepwoods assessment. It is the loudest 200 watts I have ever heard! Built extremely solid, great warranty. I owned one but I sold it though. To me it just lacked something in the tone I was looking for, maybe it was that hi-fi sound, I don't know exactly what it was but I prefer a bit more warmth and growl not so much on the mids (hard to describe the tone I want but I know it when I hear it). But it is an excellent combo. The Price on those have gone up significantly this past year. Not so long ago you could have picked up the XM200 for under $400.00 with free shipping from Gear one. They have become very popular lately and for good reason the products Yorkville is producing is top notch! ;)

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    This amp won't run at 200W unless you add a 4 ohm speaker (min impedance 2 ohms.) That said, it is a great amp, truly loud for the 150 watts it puts out without an extension speaker. I'm currently using it's big brother the XS400T and couldn't be happier!

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

...and even then it doesn't quite hit 200W.

I've got a 2001 Yorkville BM200 (1x15/blue carpet) and my Harmony-Central review can be found here... (4th review from the top)

Incidentally, I'm looking at selling this amp. Metalbass101: PM me if you're interested. I'm in Canada.

DD

7. TampaBlues

TampaBlues

Oct 28, 2002
    Tampa, Florida
    No offense Dirtdog but I think the XM200 is a significant improvement over the BM200. :meh:

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    No offence taken - as you can see in my review, I wasn't completely favorable towards the BM200 - so much for my "selling" skills.

DD

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    So did you ever try it with extension cabs? Have you tried one of the new XM200s or XM200Ts for comparison?

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I rented the 2x10 Yorkville cab for a couple of gigs - that helped out the volume a bit, but I still found the tone to be sterile.

I have since purchased an SWR sm-400s and I don't see myself gigging with the Yorkville unless the SWR goes down in flames.

I haven't tried out the XM series amps...yet...I was just in the L&M Ottawa store just recently, too.... :meh:

I have a feeling that I'll be going to make an offer on a used SWR Basic Black this afternoon and dump my BM200....I kinda dig the fact that my gig rig and my (proposed) practice amp will have the same general tonal qualities....

DD