Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XM200T vs. G/K 400RBIII (Combos)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a shot at both of these combos (my wife says I may only have one). They're comparable in price and either should meet my needs (practice, small venues). Any preferences? Suggestions? Thanks for the input!

Riis

2. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Both nice amps, tough call...I'm curious as to the price difference, are they both new or is one or both used?

3. I own a Yorkville XM200T and i love every square inch of it. I've gigged it in the past with roughly 100 people, and I didn't even have to break past the halfway point on the volume knob. This thing can pump, and having the two tens is a waaaay better alternative then just the XM200, with the one 15" i believe. Though I've heard great things about the G/K 400RBIII also. It's a tough choice, but i'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose!

4. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    A hearty hello to the Great White North! The combos are both new.

G/K - $650 +/-

Yorkville - $439 +/-

The price difference, in this case, is not critical. I need something that I can tote up a flight of stairs without hurting myself (which I've already done twice).

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Do you play a 5 string with any regularity? If you do don't get the GK, I had a GK 400RB-IV/210 for a week and it sounded GREAT with four strings but the second you dropped below E it would fart out and it felt you turned on a fan, it just blew air at you with no definition or anything. If you want the GK, get the 15 inch version. I love GK, I bought their 700RB-II head and couldn't be happier so don't think I don't love their stuff, it's tremendous. But the 100 watt speakers they put in the 400RB combos don't have enough grunt. Perhaps try the 700RB combo which uses the GK Paragon 200 watt speakers? I have no experience with that Yorkville cab but I recently bought a Traynoy YBA200 tube head and matching cabinet which are built by Yorkville and marketed under the Traynor name and they are AMAZING. So you can't go wrong, it's all needs brother. But if you play a 5 just make sure that the Yorkie can handle the lows with its two tens cuz the GK prolly can't. Oh yeah, I had the EQ flat and the volume LOW and it still farted out every time. Good luck.

6. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I see a definite leaning towards the Yorkville / Traynor line! Appreciate the help.

Riis

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    GKs are heavier...if weight is the issue, go Yorkville!!!

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    The XM200T handles the low end of my Spectors just fine... I usually play a Godin BGV through them when I'm noodling at work.

9. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Go G-K... the 400RB combo is a tad on the light tone side but the head kicks serious booty IMHO. Match it up to a Ampeg 4-10 and the tone is yours....I agree about the 400RB also pooping out on the B string. I played my Stingray 5 through a 400RB combo and it was ugly....No definition at all.

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    umm...so you're telling him to go for the G-K..but you agree it "poops" out on the B string? He is looking for a combo, BTW, not a head n' cab set up...

11. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Definately get the GK

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    He got the XM200T already.

13. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    RevGroove is right, I got the Yorkville. Does what it's supposed to and was $225 cheaper. Both are excellent choices, though.

14. Heya Zoober,

I dont have much experience with the Yorkville amps other than a quick trial in a shop when im trying to buy a bass, and then all my focus is completely on the bass.

BUT i do own a GK-400III 210 combo.

I think its awesome, the eq options are really great, but it may be a bit daunting for someone who is not used to it (with features like contour, two-mids, boost, etc)

Pushed at high volumes the low end isnt as present.

But i recently just borrow a friends Home Made 15" cab and through it under there.

This way i was able to get the full 240 watts (i think) out of the head.. and the 15" just drove those lower notes at higher volume where the 2x10 couldnt.

I do hope that helps.