Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XM50 vs. Fender Bassman 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Yorkville XM50

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. Fender bassman 25

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. I'm looking for a small practice amp to carry around. My budget is $300 and it seems like the Fender bassman 25 is the favorite here. I came across the yorkville 10 inch 50w which is more power then the bassman but, couldn't search anything on this board about Yorkville's.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

YorkVille all the way.
    Much better sound and more power.

3. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    The thing I like about the Fender bassman is the kickback feature. You can tilt it and point it right to your face and you'll always here yourself. The low-powered Yorkville's are underpowered. :) I had a Yorkville BM100 which was a lot quieter than a lot of other 100W combos. So in your case the Yorkville may not be necessarily louder than the fender. I would say get the one that sounds better to you and is lighter and easier to cary around.

4. I have the Fender. It sounds great and is much louder than you'd think a 25w amp would be. The tiltback feature is nice too. The Yorkville gear that I've tried hasn't impressed me much but the XM50 does have some nice features such as the XLR out. So I guess the old adage "Try before you buy" applies here as well.

5. My problem is that I haven't seen a music shop that carries yorkville stuff. I live in Berkeley, CA

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I really like the Bassman 25 but I have never seen a Yorkville in my life, so I can't comment on those.

7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    The Yorkville stuff rocks, and the old BM models are now a thing of the past. The XM200 competes very well with other 200W and even 400W amps. As stated above, though, try before you buy...

8. Well I went to GC and got the Bassman 25. The bassman sounds pretty nice. I found it better then the SWR LA series. I also got a good deal on the bassman for $235 plus tax.

9. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    im in a marching band, and we just got a yorkville bm400 (400 watts, 1x 15" sub, and a tweeter). and i gotta be honest i was a little skeptical because im an ampeg guy. but i was wrong, it sounds real good for a fairly cheap (around $500) combo.

so i decided to tinker around with more yorkvilles at my nearest guitar shop that carries both, and i much rather the tone for the yorkville amps, especially over fender amps. you get a real good bang for your buck with them. i love fender bass guitars to death, but the amps have never just turned me on.

i still prefer my ampeg half stack though;)

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's a pretty good deal BK! Congratulations. I'm another Bassman 25 owner.

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Brother, you ain't tell no lies! Preach on!!!:)

12. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i hope you're not being sarcastic...but thanks man!

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm in charge of sarcasm here. So the Yorkville is bitchen. Just peachy.

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Nah man, I swear by the Yorkville Stuff, it's my main rig!:D

15. Yorkville: Nice amps. Thats all I have to say :)

16. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    Your in a marching band with a 75 lb AC powered bass amp. Who carries the amp and how long an extension chord do you have?

Seriously, I have a XM 50C that I use for practise and at church. Great amp and the XLR out lets me go direct to the board and the amp is still my monitor.

17. daddyo

daddyo

Jun 9, 2004
    British Columbia
    OK. The last post was 2 years old. My dumb. :rollno:

18. Nadu

Nadu

Nov 8, 2006
    New Mexico
    I tried many fender amplifiers and I sincerely never ever liked them... for me they are like the "Microsoft windows" of amplifiers (they suck and have too many little annoying defects). On the other hand Yorkville is just an awesome brand. This amp combo is one of the best I have had. The problem is that its kind of small and has few options but is perfect for whoever wants to keep it simple jammin' at home. The lack of options in this design is not a problem for me since I can use pedals for whatever effect I need.