Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS-400H vs. Ampeg SVT-350H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gamorrah-Bass, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    I'm a bassist in an up and coming metal band, and I'm trying to choose between buying a Yorkville XS400H or an Ampeg SVT-350H head. I'm a tube junky. I love tube warmth, tone, and sound. But in my situation, I need solid state reliability. So I'm trying to get a combination of the two. I play a Fender American Deluxe Jazz, and I love it because of its sound, comfort, and versatility. Those are the same qualities I want in my head (excluding comfort). The XS400 has 400 watts (solid state) with a tube pre-amp and a tube overdrive. The SVT-350 has 350 watts of MOSFET technology that supposedly has an extremely tube-like sound.

If anybody has any experiences, advice, or thoughts on these two amps I'd really appreciate it.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The SVT-350H doesn't sound like tubes at all. The Yorkville XS400H has a preamp tube, and you can also get overdrive from the tube as well. The SVT-350H is also very underpowered for 350 watts, whereas the Yorkville's rating is very conservative for 400 watts. Best of all, the Yorkville is cheaper, and has a much better warranty. (2 years even if you break it).

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Personnally tried both amps.... definitely the Yorkville XS400H. More versatility, great punch and the Tube drive will give you that warmth you need.

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  5. I like yorkville amps, the one i tried was nice anyway, but am now the proud owner of an ampeg svt-II :D, cant beat it

However, you may want to look into a sansamp BDDI, or the fulltone (i think), equivilant, both are great tube emulators/overdrives

That'll give you a good tube sound with most amps :)

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ugh. :rollno: THE SANSAMP BDDI WILL NOT GET A TUBE SOUND!!!! :spit: He's not looking for emulators, he wants an amp.

7. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I just realized this. A good tube amp with quality tubes will be just as reliable as any solid state amp, and will probably be easier to service. Tubes aren't as fragile as you may think. I've got 35-year old RCA 6550s in my sunn and they still sound great.

If you want the full tube amp sound, you aren't gonna get it out of an emulator, or a hybrid, or a modeler. You need TUBES.

Have you checked out the Traynor YBA200? Rock City Guitars has them for $579, a full 100 bucks cheaper than the SVT-350H (and freakin all tube). Check it out, no reliability complaints so far.

8. Just offering an alternative to tubes :p

9. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    I appreciate all yall's help on this. The ox, on that YBA200, I never found anybody on the net selling that and I assumed a 200 tube head would be in the $800-1000 range. I'm amazed to see one that cheap. You have any experience with it?

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It is a very good amp, especially for the price. You can dial in some good overdriven tones, or just keep it nice and clean. Either way, it sounds very warm. It is plenty of power as well. I've been looking into getting one if I can't find a 300 watter used. This amp new doesn't cost as much as most all tube amps used.

11. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005

I appreciate it man. My only concern is I was trying to look into about 3-4 hundred watts because since I am in a metal band, my lead guitarist always thinks he isnt loud enough so he will turn up when your not looking (6 string bastards). Would the 200 tube be loud enough to complement a 120 watt guitar amp?

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Plenty, in my experience 200 tube watts sounds about as loud as an 800 watt SS amp. Put that guitarist where he belongs! :bassist:

13. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    Thanks man, one last question, how does the matching YBX1510 cab sound?

14. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Terrible. But I hear the XC808 8x8 cab from them sounds almost like a more portable, clearer sounding SVT rig. :bassist: Put two of them on their sides with a YBA200, and you'd blow away your guitarist(s) no problem.

By the way, you'll be able to keep up, but you will have some grit in your sound. You might also want to replace the stock tubes, as they really aren't the greatest. (sovteks: durable but kind of bleh tonewise) I'd replace them with JJs if I were you.

15. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    At the moment, I presently have the opportunity to try out the YBA200 with my Cabinet XC808 and it sounds absolutely great !!! Way better than the 1510 cabinet they came out with. Tons of harmonics and definition from the YBA200 through that XC808. Give it a try and you will not regret it !

16. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    I would like two XC808's, but I'm a little strapped for cash right now and I was looking for a single cab with a low frequency response under $700. Any ideas?

17. Gamorrah-Bass

Gamorrah-Bass

Apr 5, 2005
    There's one problem I see with the XC808. My band plays in Drop-C, and the frequency response on the 808 is 50hz. Would it still be able to pick up the extreme low ends?

18. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Ideally, I'd take a Bergie 215 or 610 or 425 with the Traynor, but I'm guessing you dont have that kinda dough. Try finding a good Eden 410, used is fine. The 808 is a good cab for a 4 string but not so much for more than that. I'd look locally for a used cab. You could get a SWR Goliath III, but I've never tried one on the Traynor. Genz Benz also makes some pretty awesome cabs. Aguilar makes a 410 and a 212 worth looking at. From personal experience, the 212 sounds good with tubes.

19. I am a proud owner of 2 Yorkville xs400c's - 15inch combo, with 2 Ampeg SVT 115's under each combo, and a xs800 w/matching 808 cab.

You are/were asking about the 400 vs. the 350...here's my $0.02.

I have not played the 350, but I have played and owned Ampeg's V4-B, SVT PRO 3, and a PRO 4. Each head has been given a fair shake as far as rooms (clubs size), speaker combinations, musical styles, and although they are good amps for some music, I found they weren't good for all music. Each amp was kept for 2-5 years, so they each had a good workout. However, none of these amps had "My" sound. Subsequently, these all have been traded in for Yorkville gear.

Why Yorkville? 2 year, EVEN IF YOU BREAK IN WARRANTY. Price. Construction quality. Service. Reliabilty. Why would you want to pay more for something, just to get the "name" on it. I am currently playing in a 70's+80's heavy metal cover act (Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Nugent etc) And depending on club size, the xs800 is my preferred choice, smaller clubs, I can get away with a single xs400 combo. They are loud. They don't have alot of extra crap that I didn't use/need. And the price is right. As far as the YB200 goes, I have only tried it at the store, so I can't offer any quality info on it.

So, obviously you know try before you buy, but I would make sure you give those Yorks' and fair shake, you will be pleasently surprised.