Yorkville XS400 question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikgag, Aug 30, 2005.

1. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    So I know Yorkies are usually "clean/transparent" amps, but this one has the tube overdrive channel built in. Has anyone tinkered with it enough to see if it can closely dial in "that Ampeg tone" with the overdrive on it?? I need a new amp and played a Ampeg B2R the other weekend at a gig and loved the tone, but it crapped out during our set and left me with a bad feeling. I've also heard the Ashdown MAG300 can come close the the Ampeg tone, but also may have some reliability issues as well. Right now I run a Sansamp BDDI into a SWR 2x12 combo, but the thing is getting too heavy to lift (recent back injury forcing me to change my setup) and I'm getting tired of hauling a pedal around. I'll be sticking whatever head I get on top of 2 Avatar 2x10s (once again, a 4x10 is too heavy for me anymore).....opinions???
  2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've got an XS400 & love it. As big as a Yorkville fan that I am, I say if you want "The Ampeg Tone" you'd better get an Ampeg.
    That being said, I think that the XS400 is a fantastic amp & the tonal possibilities/combinations are certainly there. You can dial up as much or as little tube warmth that you want & it certainly is great sounding amp.

I've heard that the XS800 & Traynor YBA200 models have a "resonance" feature that tigtens or loosens your sound depending on your setting. That may allow you to approximate the Ampeg tone a bit more.
  3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    +1...definitely love using that feature for different gigs...tight for the funky stuff and loose for the old school, and points in between for everything else!