Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS400 sound close to the XM200??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Hey guys,
    yesterday I ate my words about the XM200 not being loud enough (now it's just got clean power that gives an advantage IMO) or being unable to find my sound.
    so I'm really into the amp now, but I'm starting to think that in terms of long term use, that I won't really find myself having enough power. so, at one point i was thinking that I would want the XS400, but i hear that there's no real comparison between the version with 2x10s. so, now i'm thinking what's the difference in tone between the capabilties of the XS400 (15 inch) vs the XM200 (15 inch); IE if both amps were set with all the knobs flat (bass, low mid, high mid, treble) what differences in sound would we notice. loudness doesn't matter, because we know that 250 watts coming out at 8 ohms is going to beat the hell out of 160 at 4 ohms. I know the xs400 has tube overdrive preamp section, but i'm talking strictly of the clean channel.

just to give you an idea of what my sound is, i was running the xm200 amp with the bass at 10 or 11 o clock, the low mids at 12 or 1 o clock, the high mids around 1 or 2 o clock, and the treble prettymuch cranked (just above the line at the max). oh and the scoop was mostly around between 9 and 2 o clock

OR, does anyone know what combination head and cab can give me the sound closest to the xm200?? 15 inch speaker combinations plz; my preference. thanx all

2. Can't comment about the tube tone but I can comment about the volume. I have two of the older models, the 200B 15" combo and 400B head through a 15" cabinet. 150w vs. 300w coming through single 15" cabinets - there isn't a significant increase in volume.

3. well, i was comparing the XM200 to my TKO65, it wasn't much bigger than that. like maybe 85 or 90 watts @*ohms when converted down. Either way though, the main reason why i'm looking into the XS400 is because it's almost 4 times the amount of wattage i have; there's only a 10 watt difference from my calculations.

4. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    hey I own a 400 and the store I used to work for had a 200 I likes the 400 more in my playing style more mod souding and it did have a drive

the 200 is very vintage sounding

but both are good amps and with even if you break it for the first 2 years how could you go wrong

later
    Butler

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're really into the tone of the xm200 you can try to catch a bm400.

6. well, i stumbled on a deal like this
    http://www.soundexchange2.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=911
    for only two hundred bucks more (plus shipping) than the xm200 i've seen, this looks promising. considering i was really into the tone of the 200, but not really satisfied (looking into the long run) with the power, i figured that if the two sound alike (both preamps set in solidstate setting), than i could shell out my money and be happy with it.

speaking of which, is soundexchange 2 a good dealer?? i don't want to worry about scams ordering from places i don't know well.