Yorkville XS400 V.S. GK 1001RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeyang761020, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Helllo, fellows TBers, Again I am facing the moment to make the choose between the two amps. I was offer a Eden WT400 for 500 CAN, but the seller back out for some wierd reason, he just decide not to sell it after he took my money. Fortunatly for me, he did give me back my money, but left me with no amp. So I come to a amp search in Ontario, and found a used GK 1001RB for sale 680 CAN on the Internet. It's in Ottawa, so its gonna be hard for me try it out. Or I have the other option, the Yorkville XS400, which seems to be very highly-regarded on TB and all the review site, and it has the tube preamp i am looking for, so i figured that would be a good choice, too. The brand new one that I can get mine hands on would be 790 CAN? What should I do? which one of them sounds like a better deal?
  2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The 1001RB seems grossly overpriced. They go for 600 USD$ brand new.

The 1001RB is probably more comparable to the Yorkville XS800.

Try out a Gallien-Krueger amp and A/B it with the Yorkville if you can. What you find will tell you what the right choice is for you.
  3. go to your nearest long n mcquade. the yorkville xs800h is 855 plus tax. for 200 bucks more than the xs400h, its 200% worth. the GK1001rb is 1000+ i think at LM, and not as nice as the yorkie 800.

go yorkie. xs800h though, much better than the 400.
  4. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I like the xs800 but it's way too much amp for me. It has some nice features, but in my opinion it's not that much better than the xs400. I've had my Yorkie xs400 for a year & couldn't be happier.
    LOUD AS HELL, great tone(s), and a great price.

You won't be disappointed with any of the Yorkville/Traynor stuff.
  5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I think what wiggett may have meant is that there's some extra features on the 800w version of the XS, mainly the selectable tube/SS pre, and the resonance control...
  6. ^thats exactly what i meant rev.

the extra features you get, and more power, for only 200-300 bucks more, is worth it in my books.

i played a xs400t (210combo with the xs400h head in it) and loved it. it competed wiht a marshall halfstack, and a loud drummer fairly well. i had to push the thing (8 on master volume) but it held up. the xs800h seems better for me, YMMV of course. its also lighter i believe.

if your looking at the 1001rb, you might aswell look at the xs800h. the 800 puts out similar wattage at 8ohms as the 1001rb does at 4ohm.

FWIW anyways, i'd go with the yorkville over any GK, and probably the eden your looking at too.
  7. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I preferred the XS800h over the Eden WT-550. It had less noise and way more balls. The Eden sounded nice but wasn't as versatile as the Yorkie.
  8. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If the GK1001RB is in the used-music store in Ottawa, I've actually tried that amp head out. It is in good shape, but realize that it is the Series I, not the Series II (series 1 has less power, a bit of a history that has been documented on these forums...but nothing serious). It is in working order...all feature work properly, only some cosmetic scratches and the handles are a little banged up...I tried the biamp feature with a couple of GK cabs that they also have for sale used. I would try to talk them down a bit because the $680 seems a little high. That piece of equipment hasn't moved for over 6 weeks so I bet they'll take less.

I go back and forth from Peterborough to Ottawa on a somewhat regular basis. If this is the head you wanted, I may be able to transport it for you. PM me if interested.
  9. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I just went through the amp search and landed on the GK 1001 RB II at $600 USD delivered (that's about 750 CDN ?) It's a fantastic amp. The 700 is as well. I needed the extra power as I'm running a 16 ohm cab and occaisionally putting an 8 ohm cab with it so I'm at wither 6 or 16 ohms depending. I figured the extra power wouldn't hurt.

Construction wise, the Yorkie stuff isn't bad but it doesn't seem to be in the same league as the GK to me... GK tonally is an odd ball. It is quiet and clean but very warm for an SS amp. I've had tube pre's that sounded more sterile to my ear...
  10. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    unfortunately, delivery costs go up alot when going US to Canada...and there will be about another $100 in duty.
  11. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GK1001rb series II is the way to go bro.
  12. agreed.
  13. i have a yorkville XS400H and u just cant beat the warrenty. that was my biggest selling point
  14. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

While people are making other suggestions (Yorkie 800) you may also want to check out the Kustom Groove Bass 1200. Has more watts than either of those heads, can be had for $500 - $600 new U.S. and you can certainly get a warmer sound out of the Kustom than the GK (not sure about the Yorkie, never tried one) plus you can get a great modern tone out of it two. Many of us here were in the same position as you and looking at these 3 heads and ended up going with the Kustom. Do a search...
  15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm sure the Kustom head is fine, and I'm curious to try one myself...but check the specs...it'll only do more power if you run it at 2 ohms (two 4 ohm cabinets or three 8 ohm cabinets...I can see the possibility of phase problems with the latter option...) And the specs on the website don't match those listed in the manual.
  16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I spoke to one of their techs a while back and he said that the original 450@8 ohms, 750@4 ohms and 1200@2ohms was far too conservative and they have now changed the spec to 500, 800 and 1200 respectively. He even said that it actually puts aout a bit more than that (think he said something like 853 watts @ 4ohms for example). Either way the head has a TON of power. I've used it at indoor and large outdoor gigs and I have never had the gain past 7 and the master past 4. It's crazy loud...