Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS400 with Extension cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm picking up an XS400 combo (the 1x15) in two days and I'm looking at extension cabs for future use -- specifically the XC115 with tweeter. Now, the cab has 8 ohm resistance. If I put this straight into the amp with the speakon/quarter inch jack, will I be running the amp at 4 ohms total, and thus, using the full 400 watts available?

Another question -- since the cabs are all 8 ohms, I assume the "cab" inside the combo is 8 ohms, and thus, the combo, without any extension cab, is running at 200 watts?

2. yes.

yes.

you don't like want the 210 T combo with a 15" ext.? That amp is like 600 here.

3. tubster

tubster

Feb 5, 2003
    Southwest Spain
    I have the exact match for that cab sitting in my front room though it is a Yorkville 2x10 "XC 210" (not 1x15"). It is now redundant as I have changed to a 1x12" combo and another 1x12" cab so it is up for grabs. Have not listed it yet, but seeing your idea, thought it might suit.

PM me if interested - it's a good price!

4. I use a 2 Yorkville XS400c with 2 Ampeg Classic 15s. I love the sound, lots of power, best amp/combo/cab I have ever used. Try extension cabs before you buy...you might like the sound of a pair of 10's more. Good luck.

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Yes, yes...and I have to say no right now until I check on the power rating. I think it's running at 300 to 320 watts at that point, I'd have to check the exact figures to be sure...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    angelopb: The amp is long since ordered and soon to be received and paid for.

tubster: Thanks for the consideration, but it'll be a while before I'll be buying an extension cabinet. This is just to clarify something that's been on my mind.

RevGroove: The power ratings on the speakers inside the combo are 250 watts for the 15" speaker, and 30 watts on the tweeter. As the tweeter itself can be shut off and whatnot, wouldn't it make sense to have it running at 200 watts (also factoring in that the "cab" section of the combo runs at 8ohms)?

Thanks for the answers. I guess I'm finally understanding all this amp stuff.

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Let me get back to you on that one. The web site confirms that the spec on the 15" speakers are 250 watts, but the tweeter specs are listed as 70 watts.

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Okay, the tweeter is in fact 70 watts, dunno about the one you got...and the word from Yorkville is that the amp runs 250W at 8 ohms...sounds a heck of a lot louder if you ask me, but there you have it.

9. For any of the XS400 amp/combos, does anyone know where the compressor falls in the signal chain?

If I set up a fairly compressed signal and then kicked in a volume boost with the Footswitchable Tube Drive, would I get my volume boost (Comp comes before Tube Drive) or would the compressor just keep on squashing my signal for no volume boost (Comp comes after Tube Drive).

Thanks

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Compressor comes after the input gain but before everything else (including tube gain)

11. Hey renfield808.

Thanks, just curious.

I've got a gig at Clintons (Christie & Bloor) tonight if you're around. Shortwave, we're on at 10:30 -11:00.

12. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Thanks for the offer. Wont be tonight though, have plans out in Oshawa tonight.