Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS400H or Hartke 3500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bigwig, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yorkville. :eyebrow:

3. yorkville, no competition.

4. Lue

Lue

Sep 30, 2003
    yorkville if I may say so. :D

5. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'm using the XS400T combo...I have no experience with the Hartke, but the head and the 2x10s sound killer...I have no complaints at all!

6. I've played the Yorkville, and it's quite the bang for the buck.

7. Hey BigWig, I'm a fan of Yorkville 'cause it's dependable, cheap and Canadian. When the XS400H came out, there was a large thread on it:

Yorkville XS400H

There is also a current thread about Hartke. Some posters claimed that Hartke has moved to entry-level status. Note, I've never played through a Hartke so I don't know but here's the thread anyways:

Moving away from Hartke

8. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    i have the Yorkville 400h it's a great little head, and even better for the price. IMO if you like the Hartke then yeah Hartke is cool but with the Yorkville you get a lot more options on tonal control and the thing i really like about it is that this amp really brings out the tone of the bass, The amp doesn't add coloration to the sound. Power wise, well yes it does have more power but the cabs that you get play a big deal of difference. I will be using 2x12 avatar and a 1x15 carvin, and when i get more money i'll probably get a 4x10 and switch between any combination of 2.
    Oh by the way check out the reviews on both of these products you'll find really good info.

9. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    yea...i thought the yorkville would be better...
    im not sure if it makes sense to...but i wanted to save up, and wait till i have some cash, and instead of buying some head im gonna wanna change in a year...but a decent one, that ill stick with for a while...i also want it new...so it looks like the yorkville, although ill try both out again and see..

10. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    All monetray issues aside, I owned a 3500 and sold it as soon as I heard the XS400. IMO the XS400T takes it to the next level too, if you can afford it, I'd take the 2x10 version over the 1x15.

11. Bigwig

Bigwig

Dec 27, 2003
    Grimcity
    well i phoned the guy today...he said id he ordered it in...it wud be $679.99 plus tax...
    so thats like 781.14 or something...which is a little past my budget, but id be willing to work an extra few weeks to get it...
    now im just waiting to hear back about cabs i shud look into...

12. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    680 for the head is pricy you might want to double check that price it seems like he's giving you the price for the combo..the price for the head only is like 450.. and cabs.. yeah double check that price.

13. but I think the 680 is Canadian--he's in Ontario, which would be roughly 450 bucks US depending on exchange rate

14. dimplebutt

dimplebutt

Oct 13, 2003
    LA
    in that case i stand corrected..

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thats like comparing a Ferrari to the billy cart you made when you were 7.

Yorkville.

16. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I'll second that...the XS400 and a step up from the old BM400...and the XS400T 2x10 is a GIANT LEAP ahead of the XS400 1x15 combo. It looks like they redesigned the cabinet, it's tuned way better and sounds punchier and has great defininition while still being able to reach smooth lows.