Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS400H vs. Ampeg SVT III Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jiant., Jun 2, 2005.

1. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    What are your thoughts? I have the chance to buy the Ampeg off of my friend at a pretty good price, or I can get the Yorkville new from Musician's Friend for around the same price. I've never played either of them, but I've heard his Ampeg at many shows that my band has played at with his. I liked the tone, but would it(or the Yorkville for that matter) be enough to power my SVT 410 HLF(we do have PA support at the places that are big enough to need it)? Thanks and God Bless! -Brad

2. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Tough call. But if you go for the XS400H you'll have a 2 year unlimited coverage backing you up from Yorkville. Better yet if you can swing it anty up for a XS800H it's the whip.
    Rezdog

3. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Not quite a correction.....

If the Ampeg is less than 5 years old, AND you get the receipt from your friend, it will also still be under warranty.........

4. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I don't know exactly how old the Ampeg is, but I'll ask. It all depends on what he actually wants for it, he told me that he would set the price based on how much he got for the cabs he's selling. I went to a store today that is a Yorkville dealer, but they didn't have the head in right now, I told them that I wanted to try one out and that I was trying to decide between that and the Ampeg. The guy I talked to didn't seem to like Ampeg very much and said that he would try to get that head in soon. So hopefully I'll be able to try that one out pretty soon.

5. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    get the yorkville 800, it smokes

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Despite the Yorkville's 400 watt rating, I find it to be much louder than the 450 watt SVT III Pro. Better tone, too IMHO. Plus the price & warranty is unbeatable.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, I just talked to the guy today(hadn't talked to him since he went to NC to tour with another band on his label) and he sold it on eBay. Looks like as soon as I get another paycheck or two I'll be purchasing somthing by Yorkville.

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137408

This is the thread I started about the exact same topic.

I've never actually played the Yorkville on my own cab, but i have played the XS800H on my Peavey 115 BVX BW cab and the 400 & 800 are pretty much sonically equivalent.

Yorkville XS400 = flexible control options with separate tube overdrive, excellent warranty, very good price, noisy electronics (lots of hiss in the examples I have tried), good power, harder to see white on grey labeling, lightweight, no fan. $650 Cdn new in Canada.

Ampeg SVT3 Pro = killer tone, footswitchable mute/EQ (I would much prefer footswtchable overdrive), fan cooling which can sometimes be a bit loud for my taste, Ampeg name, good warranty, higher priced, quiet electronics, good power, lightweight. I paid approx $700 Cdn used from the US.

Apparently the first runs of the XS400 came with noisy preamp tubes which apparently has been rectified, but I haven't tested. I've also found the XS800 to be noisy as well. Aside from the fan noise, the Ampeg is very quiet electrically, which I like. I ended up with the Ampeg.

Both actually are good choices. I would pay a lot of attention to how you want the controls to work for tone shaping and see which fitted your style best.

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Hmmm.....My XS800H is very quiet and sonicaly has the jump on any XS400. Yes their is a difference or I wouldn't have bought one. I've owned and have used many Ampegs and the XS800H will stack up to any of them. For the price of a used second hand Ampeg you could be happnin with something fresh right down to the famous Yorkville/Traynor warranty. And you can also get the foot switch for the tube overdrive that the Ampeg lacks. Best bet is to A/B them for your self.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

10. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I heard some folks complaining about the XS400 & either I'm just lucky or got one of the second run heads, but I couldn't be happier. I was actually in the store I bought it from today & the owner was asking me how it was working out for me & I told him that I loved it. I mentioned to him some of the negative feedback/concerns I've read on this site & elsewhere. He told me that he's sold over a dozen of the XS400 heads & has yeat to hear complaint number one.
    Those XS800's seem sweet, but it's honestly too much amp for me. Love the footswitchable tube drive on the Yorkie - all the wamth and/or crunch you could ever want. I use a Fulltone Bassdrive for my distortion & just use enough of the Yorkie tube drive for the classic fat tone. The wet/dry blend for that is sweet.

I think that Yorkville is the best kept secret in bass amplification - most bang for your buck.

You won't be disappointed with that 400. I have the matching XC115 cab & also an old Fender BXR 4x10 cab I run through & it's the cat's pajamas man....

11. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I just thought of one more concern, which might change my whole amp decision. Will I notice a volume difference in these, upgrading from the Behringer 300w head I have now? I will obviously see a tone difference, but I'm starting to wonder if these would be worth getting or if I should just save up a little more and get an Ampeg SVT IV PRO used or a Kustom Groove Bass new.

12. LoGruvz

LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    The Yorky XS400H can only go to 4 ohms whereas the XS800H can go to 2 ohms. I play two Ampeg SVT410HLF cabs at 4 ohms each so together they produce two ohms.

13. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    You might just wanna save up for the XS800H if it's THAT big of a concern.

But between the Yorkville and the Ampeg, I think the volume difference will be more noticeable with the Yorkville.

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

using the tried and true rule of doubling amplifier power for each 3db of gain, 300 watts to 400-450 watts will only give you 1.5db extra volume. You may not notice a significant difference.