Yorkville XS400H w/ XC808 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hatrock, Mar 7, 2005.

1. hatrock

Mar 4, 2005
    I recently purchased a Yorkville XS400H head and a XS808 cab. I am very pleased with this purchase. I fell in love with the sound on the Mesa/Boogie 600w head, but it was way out of my price range.

I play in a four piece hard rock band and our drummer hits pretty hard. Also competing with a Marshall stack and a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier stack. That said, I play with the volume only at 3. 400w is plenty loud and the 800w cab handles it no problem. My bass is an ESP B-105 (passive).

Features I like:

- Tube Overdrive: very cool with foot switch (extra). You can blend as much of the 'fuzz' sound as you want.

- Tuner out: No need to daisy-chain your tuner pedal. Just go right out into it. Don't worry, there's a mute button on the head.

- Direct Out XLR: No need for a D-I box. Saves you $40 right there.

From the manual, I keep my settings at Metal/Rock, which allows for a nice full sound and switching from Tube Overdrive and back is smooth. If you don't follow the settings, your tone can get very muddled, lacking punch.

Let the tube warm up a bit - then you can get a nice tone out of it.

The XC808 cab is easy to move. Handles on top and bottom and sides. Two wheels on bottom. Can fit it in my PT Cruiser no problem.

Price for head was about $620 and cabinet was $820 at Long and McQuade. Great deal. I shopped around quite a bit and tried everything. The bass sound on this head at 5 was shaking the room. I thought about eventually going up to a Mesa/Boogie for double the price, but I'm pretty satisfied.

Definitely give this package a 9/10.
  2. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Man I love that head...best bread I've spent in a long time.