Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS800H and XC808

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassboomer, Apr 11, 2005.

1. bassboomer

bassboomer

Mar 18, 2005
    Looking for a powerful, versatile rig.... Is the XS800H and XC808 cabinet the right choice ????

At 800 watts of power this seems to be plenty, but how about the Tone of these Yorkville ???

Let me know your experiences.

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Click the link in my sig for a better choice. I was looking at the Yorkies a few months ago along with many other heads in that price ranged and found the best one. Other TBers have also recently done the same thing and are VERY happy as well. Can't beat the features, construction, tone and power for the price...

3. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The Yorkville head is very good and very reliable with a great warranty. The cabinet also. You can get pretty well any sound you want out of that head and you will have plenty of power.

I haven't seen any of the new Kustom amps yet.

4. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I played my Yorkville XS800H and XC808 again last evening at rehearsal and I was really happy with the Tone I got, so powerful, with tons of definition from the cabinet. This is not my last setup but it will do the job for most situations. The head is so silent, no bad noise coming out, no fan, and it does not get hot at all, even after three hours of playing with lots of power pushed. It`s definitely a good choice for the price and quality. This is for people who want to carry only one Cabinet instead of two and to have a very portable head as well, which is a breeze to bring out at 3 AM after a gig !!!
    Tons of power at 800 watts with the Yorkville !!! :bassist:

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you like clean sounds as well as overdriven grind, give the yorkville a look. It's a great head. It also has a tube preamp, which the kustom does not.

6. Quadzilla

FYI, the Kustom does a pretty good job of imitating a tube head when you crank the gain. Not saying it's better than the Yorkie, just another alternative...

7. Feature-wise the Yorkville has the edge with the tube pre, overdrive, variable dampening factor, and built in compressor. However I've read that the Yorkville is hard to get a bright sound with. Would anyone know if switching preamp tubes to something else or another brand could make the sound brighter?

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I switched the tube preamp to a JJ and at first it seemed to help a bit, but then I switched back the Sovtek in it and I did not notice major changes in the Tone. Possibly with another brand ro something, but I can get a bright Tone out of my rig with some tweaks.

9. Quadzilla

But the Kustom gives you 50% more watts @ 2 ohms and is only 2 U's tall :D I REALLY didn't want to get a 3U head again...

10. when i played through an xm200, i just cranked the high mids to 2 o clock, and the treble near maxed, and with the low mids down and the bass down. i think that it's not that yorkville has trouble getting bright tones, it's just that their eq setups with all the bass knobs at 12 o clock have too much bass. either way, i'm getting an xs800 when i get the chance; seems like a great investment either way and i'm sure if i don't like it i can sell it to a TBer