Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yorkville xs800h and yorkville 8x8 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Jan 2, 2005.

1. well first of all is the head loud enogh (88watts)? and is a 8x8 loud and deep enough????

2. i did try the search but didnt find what i was looking for.

3. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    800 watts is a good some for any gig. As for the 8x8 you'll need your ear for that call.

4. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I get some unbelievable lows with mine... and I push a dbx 120A Subharmonic Synthesizer through mine for dub/reggae and synth material that I cover, handles it no problem, articulates really well!

I think MMStingray is right though, you'll have to use your ears and make your own call on that. IMO, I think you'll be satisfied...

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Umm...no...the store/chain that I work at...and not on the sales floor BTW, I gain ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from saying good things about this rig...sells Yorkville equipment and products distibuted by Yorkville...the owner(s) of our chain owns Yorkville as well...and when they come up with a stinker, I tell them, and I'm honest about it here on TB and the other places I post...i.e. my less than ecstatic opinion on the BM models, the current XC cabs (excepting the XC808,) and the YBA200 head and the YBX1510.

I say positive things about the products that I do like...even if they're products that are not carried by L&M (like Spector basses...love em, all I'll ever play in all likelyhood...but L&M carries another fine brand of basses, just not one that I like personally.) I dumped my BM gear and went to SWR because it wasn't working for me...check my posts, I raved about the Workingman's 4004 head and Goliath III...and still say good things about them, that's a super cab, right now likely the best 4x10 out there IMHO...and then I tried the XS400TC and got hooked...now I have the XS800H and XC808, they work extremely well for me, and I've not run into any negatives...so why the heck wouldn't I recommend them, or seek to balance opinion if I think what I'm saying is the truth.

Dude, my comments were purely my own opinion, works for me in my rig, if it doesn't work for you, that's fine. You seem to like the older Traynor stuff (as do I), so you're probably better off just sticking to that stuff. You're entitled to your opinion...just because I work for the major retailer of the product does not mean I'm not entitled to mine. There's arguably just as many (if not more...you're welcome to count them if you want) anectdotes similar to mine as to yours. Again, taste is purely subjective, and anyone is entitled to theirs.

If I came across as slagging you, my apologies sir, 'twas not my intention. You seem to post in every Yorkville thread that comes up...and we have different opinions, so if I post in the same thread, it's nothing personal, it's just my opinion. I can understand yourselves or others having concerns about a conflict of interest, but let me again be absolutely clear:

-I am not a salesguy, and have little to do with sales (I get in trouble for doing sales actually...no need to get into my job description, but it's not my job to have anything to do with product...and no, it's not my job to scrub toilets either, although it's a fine and necessary vocation!)
    -I have no direct relation with Yorkville Sound. I may contact them once in awhile in regards to repair or customer service issues, or discuss suggestions that I may have (which you yourself have done, and others here on this list), but that's about it.
    -I gain ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from saying good things about the XS series amps (oh, did I mention I don't like the XS400 1x15 combo? Needs better tuning similar to the XS400T) or the XC808, or the YBA200 mated with the XC808.

IMHO, it's a great rig, sounds good with my Spectors (IMHO, the finest bass on the planet), and that's that (MO.) I'd stack it up against an SWR 750X and a Henry the 8x8, I'm confident the Yorkville rig would hold it's own or even out do it. We're waiting for one to come in to try...

Even moreso than in the US...we got freedom of speech and expression here in Canada...so again, just my opinion...

6. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Glad to hear it, and I'll take none as well.

It's in my profile on AB (activebass.com) profile, I should probably add it here as well...though you knew I work for L&M, so I figure most people on here would be able to figure it out as well...in any case, check out my updated signature (which, as I read the preview, is NOT showing up...is there a waiting period for updates? Basically sez I work for L&M and includes the URL to the website...)

I agree though...djnylonpants over in the BBE thread was straight up front about his involvement...as was Morgan when he joined just after the Fender buyout of SWR...maybe a profile field should be something to the effect of "musical industry employment", or something to that effect?

I'm honestly impressed...seriously

I was honoured to be among the group who got to try out the prototypes, I even got to play the first one that didn't tilt back (it was the one originally pictured on the website, before it had four wheels.) The production model is tuned just that little bit better though...and thank God it has the bigger wheels and tilts back, cuz that sucker is heav, listed at almost 115 lbs/52 kg (with the tilt back feature, it's even easy to bump it down into my basement studio!)

I've had friends come by to check it out on the sales floor, and they're convinced. Admittedly, they may be a bit biased due to the build up I give it, and if they've heard my rig live, then they're even that much more biased.

I had no problems with my XS400TC, and after reading yours and the other posts, I tried the two I had on the sales floor at that time...no QC issues with them, I can only post my own experience. I talked to my contact at YS, they'd heard from you and some others, and they fixed the problem...as you said, they listen to feedback...and they act on it almost immediately if it's justified.

I hope not! If you get a chance and you have the time, try hooking up the 800W rig with a dbx 120A in the loop, and use an active bass...I think an EMG DC equipped Modulus Q5 would have the closest specs to my Spector that Granville store would have available...and to be fair, so I have a frame of referenace, I'll try the rig with a passive Fender P-bass (I don't think I have a Mike Dirnt Model in stock right now) and post my thoughts...to be fair, I've never played with a passive bass through this setup, and so I can't really relate to your experience...

Agreed, agreed... to disagree that is! And making sure balanced info gets out is why I post when I see something less than postive about something I have a strong opinion for or think differently about...again, it's all opinion, and personal experience, not blanket "this is my thought, you must share it or else!"

We may be heading out your way next summer to visit my wife's best friend/maid of honour if they don't get transferred before then to another military posting...if so, I'll look you up!

I can find out about the rolloff specs...and see, I do not like the 1510 at all. It accents the worse things in the YBA200 IMO...I think the XC808 is a better match for it! And I've tried several different YBX1510s with 2 or 3 different YBA200s...it sounds better than an XC210/XC115X stack with an XS400H though...I think that's a better match for that cabinet.

I tried!!! Honestly, we had one come in on trade in with an old 2x15 Traynor cab, and it skated out before I could grab it up...But no dice, they think everything's covered as far as bass skus...but hey, if they get enough requests for something...

True, it's up to the ear man. As you said earlier, maybe we just have different definitions or are hearing different things. Chacun son gout!

7. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    And now, back to our normally scheduled thread topic...:D

8. Rev, how are you finding the XC212P? Any word on whether or not Yorkville are going to release a 2x12? Also I would like to hear your opinions on the XC410...more specifically why you don't like it. As you read in another thread I am probably going to be selling my YBA200, but if i can get it to cut through by changing cabs then I would love to keep that amp.

9. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    After reading the above exchange between Revgroove and Smash I feel that I should and will comment.

I just obtained the xs800H with the xc808, what got me interested in going to L&M to listen to them was what was posted by people on this forum and specifically Rev Groove. I sense from various posts that I read by him that even though he has some ties with Yorkville he is very impartial and he does state quite clearly his likes and dislikes of various Yorkville products. I hold his opinion and some others on this forum quite high as far as being honest and sincere with some intuitive insight on what works with what and what doesn’t, it also appears to me that Yorkville for some reason gets him to try some of their proto types which in its self tells me he must posses some level of expertise and surely can distinguish between low and sub low frequencies.

I think it is an advantage for some of us to actually have some one who has a direct link to Yorkville for our question and comments, and for me I have PM’d him a few times with questions regarding Yorkville products and he took the time to respond back with answers. Keep up the good work Rev.:p

10. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    So will this thing handle a B flat??? :D

11. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    I like 2x12s for fretless, I think there's a market there, but Yorkville's not bought into it yet...

...I have the problem with the XC410 that SMASH has with the XC808...couldn't get any decent lows. There's talk of overhauling the specs...one of my co-workers has been test driving a prototype 2x10 which has similar porting the the XS400T, and we think it's a vast improvement.

Actually, the YBA200 with 1 or 2 XC410s may do it for you...it is a pretty middy cab, IMO...

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    yeh man! :D

13. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Thank you, kind sir!

I try even with the Yorkville stuff to point out what postive aspects there may be...and when I get my hands on a prototype, I'm brutally honest with the engineer regarding my likes and dislikes. Fair is fair, and L&M if nothing else breeds integrity and honesty.

That exchange with SMASH and I just provides a reminder that I need to be as balanced as possible, especially when it comes to Yorkville gear...but hey, if it's good stuff, what else can i say?

;)

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Well, I tried out both heads (XS800 and YBA200) through an XC808 with two basses that I truly do not like...for myself personally that is, they're both fine basses and I've heard people do amazing things with them. I'm talking the passive Mexcan P Bass (which I can't stand so much I had to play two different ones to be sure I was being fair) and an active MM Stingray.

Well, the P did sound a little bit better in the YBA200 than in the XS800H...but I could not duplicate Smash's issues, that is, the lack of clean lows. To be fair, I didn't have access to the Mike Dirnt bass, and I dunno what the specs are, the MIM P was the only Fender P we had available (we got cleaned out of US made Fenders over Christmas, even used stuff.)

Now as far as the Stingray went...well, I actually liked the sound of it for once. Got some beefy lows without the harsh high end I usually associate with MM.

SMASH, if we do head out west for that vacation, I'll definitely look you up and we can go hang at Granville and check out some gear together so we can have a reference point so we can really see what we're each referring to...having this discussion online doesn't really cut it! :D

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    ...and I must say...even considering the "OLB" was about a year old (traded in by a guy who hardly played it though...) the XC808 owned it as far as volume and...well, SMASH's observations of the two cabinets he played are aproximate to my findings of the "OLB"...no real focused low end, really mushy, not tight at all...or I should say, not as tight as the XC808...the preamp was a BBE MAX-T and the power amp was an Eden WT1250 Power amp...

...there was no XS800H available... :meh:

edit: Out of respect for the new "Corporate User Policy", I've removed the name of the brand that I compared the XC808 to and replaced it with the term "OLB", or other leading brand...

16. so honestly revgroove would it be loud enough to be used in a rockin blues band that plays outdoors and in indoor clubs, and bars?

my guitarest has a fender 1960 somethin all tube amp 4x10 i think its 60 watts, but it is louder than hell and it is always and volume 10, and our drummer is louder than hell.

right know i use a avatar 2x12 and a behringer bx3000t but i am opnly pushin 160 watts through it, it isnt as loud as i would like but it works.

17. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    You'd own the guitarist and the drummer...you're definitely not pushing enough wattage to compete with all of that as it is...another option if you lke the preamp you're using is to use a beefier outboard power amp.

But yes, the XS800H/XC808 rig would be loud enough to use outdoors on the gig described above...