1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yorkville XS800H Experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tbass-chicago, Mar 24, 2006.

1. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone owning a Yorkville XS800H feel like sharing their experiences? I tried one out last night and think I'm going to pick it up today.

ME: Own an Ampeg B2R and think I'm going to move on. I like the tone, but the amp gets lost on stage. Went and tried out the Yorkville XS800H last night and felt like it was a different class of amplifier.

Then I was talking to a bass player later in the evening who owns a lot of amps, and he said, "What's a Yorkville? Why don't you get a real amp?" I was surprised by the comment, since I had heard of Yorkville and thought they had a high-end reputation.

YOU: What's your experience with the amp? Any blow-ups? Did you miss your Ampeg? Did you eventually have to move to another?

Thanks!

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You can tell that bass player thet Yorkville is a real amp. I've owned a couple of Yorkville's and found them very high quality and reliable.

I played through the XS800 in a store and liked it a lot. I also played through the XS400 that was part of a backline at a multi-band event and it sounded fabulous. Plenty of power and very easy to get a good sound.

Yorkville's are made in Canada. Their prices are reasonable and they have an unbeatable warranty.

They don''t have the high profile of many other big amp companies but they sure give you great value. They can compete with anything in their price range and usually come out on top.

This is my opinion of course, and amp preference is a subjective thing, but many share my opinion. There are a lot of working pros who use them every week.

3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

I couldn't have said it better myself. Just because a Yorkie doesn't cost as much as your monthly house note doesn't mean it isn't a "real amp". I love my XS400 & had an old Basmaster 200 combo that was the cat's pajamas.

Tell that guy to bite me.

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    The XS800H is a great amp. Good power,sounds,warranty and weight. Buy it with confidence cause it will more than get the job done. And +1 on the above responses. Oh ya.....Do I miss my old SVT? Sometimes, but I don't miss lifting it, not at all.
    Rezdog

5. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    I really liked mine but for me it was not loud enough. I have 2 svt810e cabs & 2 ohms it only puts out 600 watts. I thought of getting another, but the way the pre out/power in is set up, I would have had to balance the volume of the 2 heads with the volume knobs. I ended up with a demeter HBP-1 and Crown MA-2400. I still miss my Yorkie though!

6. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I'm just running 1 2x10 NEO at 8Ohms. 600 watts should be about perfect for me. Good to know you miss it, though!

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Man, you must have to play pretty loud!

8. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    Yeah I play that loud rock music that the kids like nowadays:bassist: I am starting to believe that the rest of my band is 99 percent deaf ;)

9. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    I tried an xs800 at my local long and mcshaft, and I if I had the cabbage,I would soo
    get one! also the xc808 is hands down THE best cab I have ever heard! couple it with an 18, and holy crap! the soundman would hate you!

10. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yeah, I used to play the same thing. But I didn't have 600 watts to play with and no PA support for the amps. Things really have changed. I remember when the Acoustic 360 was considered a loud amp. Power has increased exponentially since the early 60s. Boy, am I getting old.

11. I also had an Ampeg B2R, running through a 410HE. Sounded good, but not at high volumes. It definitely didn't keep up with our drummer. I bought (off ebay) the XS800H after reading so many reviews on TB. I love mine. Much better tone than the B2R, and definitely much louder. I also like to use effects. This amp has an effects loop, plus a wet/dry knob to use in conjunction with it. It is footswitchable, but the footswitch is extra. I don't have one of those.

12. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I have had an Ampeg Svt with 2 8x10 cabs in 1970 and sold them to get 2 acoustic 360s,which I loved-so I don't miss the ampegs that much(I just liked the Acoustics better). I've had a Yorkville XS 800 for about 5 months now and love it...I tried numerous heads to power my new Schroeder 410 cab prior to buying mine(in the same wattge range) and before I found the Yorkie, I was going to buy the Eden WT 800 because I really liked its sound with the Schroder cab...but I liked the sound of the Yorkville amp better ,it was louder,with 800 watts @ 4 ohms,and not nearly as expensive. Everyone has different tastes...suggest trying one out with your speaker cab. I have'nt had a single problem with mine nor has anyone I know locally who has one....Peace...DAcat:cool:

13. tbass-chicago

tbass-chicago

Oct 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks everyone for the input, all of which I found helpful and supportive. I went on Friday and picked up the XS800H new, and used it on 2 gigs this weekend. The guitar player commented right away that it was nice to be able to hear me finally, and that it sounded like the ampeg was clipping all the time, but the XS800H sounded like it was hardly working at all. The able to distinguish the pitch in the notes I played made me a better player, as well. The tone is far better than what I had before.

The amp is built like a tank, and comes with a 2 year warranty that, even if I throw it down the stairs (not likely) or spill a beer on it at a gig (that could happen), Yorkville will replace it.

Anyone shopping for an amp who comes across the thread looking for info on this one, feel free to message me to chat about the amp.

Thanks!

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm glad you like it T-bass. It's nice having that headroom. It's also nice to know you are contributing to a made in North America company.

15. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Yorkville is a great company!!! I don't actually own any of their amps, but I recommend them to as many people as I can. They even sent me a free baseball shirt just for supporting them! :bassist:

16. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Here I go raining on this parade, but I had the 800 and found it to be rather bland and too hi-fi. The overdrive was buzzy, the clean tone reminded me of a SWR Workingman's (SS pre) and it seemd very sensitive to finger noise, etc.

On the plus side, it was loud, built like a tank, goes down to 2 ohms (but cuts the wattage down @ 2 ohms??? :confused: )...

17. I've got one and I love it. Glad to hear you picked one up. The only problem with mine is I only get to use it when my band practices, and our drummer has recently had leg surgery so it's been almost a month and I'm getting annoyed playing though a 25W Fender in my basement!

18. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Thumbs up for the XS800. I've had mine since July of last year and love it. Tons of power/headroom, and I've not been able to get a bad tone out of it, at least nothing I could blame the amp for. I'd recomend getting the footswitch, since they're so cheap and handy. I sort of agree with Quadzilla that the overdrive can be buzzy/harsh, but that was cured for me by spending some time working with different combinations of drive and blend. My only gripe with the amp is cosmetics. The chrome knobs and their pointer ridges disappear when the lights go down. I'm trying to find some easier to see in the dark knobs, but other than that, I'm super satisfied with my amp.

19. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey Quad...yours or anyone else's opinion is no rain on anyone's parade-or else the sunshine's gone! When I first got my Yorkie XS800, I was also a little concerned by a little too much finger noise on the strings...even though the gain wasn't turned too high....I like a really quiet amp,especially for quieter brief solos...(I can't hear that finger noise when you're playing at higher volume)...I was able to get rid of the finger noise by turning down the treble on my active bass as well as the treble on the Yorkie for a softer, smoother, tone on those songs. I used to play SWR just before I switched to this amp (SWR WM15 and SWR350) and I also compared it to a SWR 750 and SWR 900 just before getting the Yorkie. But I got the Yorkie only aftermany amp comparisons and after I first had my heart set on an Eden WT800 -but after I got a 4 ohm Schroeder 410 cab,and realized I'd only be able to put 400 watts into the cab@ 4 ohms, and the Yorkie sounded about the same tone wise through the Schro 410, but LOUDER and PUNCHIER than the Eden(? maybe because now there were 800 watts powering the cab rather than 400watts?-I'm not sure :confused: )-that finally sold me on the Yorkie. But the XS800 didn't sound at all like a SWR IMHO (...though It is possible to dial in a super clean solid state tone reminescent of a SWR...its tone controls can give you a lot of different sounds from clean to "tubey" to gnarley-Marshall-like overdriven sounds or even worse-which I never personally use...the amp has a versitile tonal variety,not just one "sterile" sound)...was yours a brand new model(wondering if it could have had a tube problem in the preamp:help: )?...anyway, thanks :) for opening up some healthy discussion...Peace...DAcat...:cool:

20. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    That's pretty cool of them to do. Super customer service, even when you aren't actually a customer.