Yorkville xs800h head.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Feb 28, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002

Details on website.

I've read comments so far. Time for an update I think.

How does it sound compared to Eden? Ampeg? Any complaints?
  2. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    I own one along with the XC808 Cabinet.

I can tell you that Yorkville scored a major hit with the combination. It`s powerful, and offers a good range of Tones. You like it or not, it`s a question of preferences, but the 8X8" cabinet is a winner in itself.
  3. I too bought one, and I couldn't be happier. I've played Ampeg V4-B, Pro III, Pro IV, and they just didn't cut it. The Yorkville 800+808 rocks! I play classic metal, and punk with a style similar to Lemmy and Geezer, with a slightly distorted sound (depending on the music that I am playing of course) and the 800 does it all. Easy to move, controls are straight foward, and it is loud! I have never felt air move like I have with the 808 cab.

There are 2 sticking points with me though, I think the head should have an power output for wireless etc. And the cab seems a little top heavy, but those are the only two gripes so far.

Price is great. Consrtuction, top notch, Warranty is #1, 2 years even if you break it. Ease of use, excellent. Would definately recomend this set-up, you will be pleasently surprised.
  4. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I've got the XS400 & it's incredible. I never miss an opportunity to tell bassists about Yorkie stuff. Super tone & construction at a really reasonable price. Made in Canada is as good (or better) than Made in the USA - no pacific rim labor here...
    The Yorkville secret is gonna get out one of these days!
  5. Juddium

May 24, 2004
    it's the head I purchased for my first real setup. paired it with a dr. bass 1260 cab - it's unfortunate that all I can compare it to are shoddy yamaha keyboard amps, but I've had comments on how clean and warm the sound is.
    blows my mind when I crank it up and start groovin. best money I've spent
  6. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've been GASing for a XS400H head for a while now. Need . . . more . . . money! All the features on the Yorkville stuff look top-notch, at least on paper.
  7. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Well, I orderd an XS800h a couple days ago.
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Hey Snarf,
    Save you pennies, sell some plasma & go ahead & pull the trigger! You won't be disappointed. That XS400H sounds so much better than amps that cost twice as much it's unbelievable. I've finally found the perfect "tube drive" setting on it & it is F-A-T! I run 3 Ricks, a T-bird & a Jazz Bass through it & they all sound monstrous.
  9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Hey Mark,

Glad it's working out for you man! Two questions:

When you say top heavy, are you referring to weight or EQ?

And are you requesting that an outlet be incorporated into the head, much like the old YBA-3s?

How is that wireless system working out?
  10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

I think it really is getting out now, big time.

I have the XM200C. IMHO, this is the best combo I've played thru. Walks all over the Fender BXR 100 I have tone wise. It is built solid, so it should last forever.

What I really like, is that the XM200 has a nice bottom end, but doesn't get muddy when the volume is turned up. I play basses with flatwound strings thru this, and I couldn't be happier with the sound of it.

Can't wait to add the XC115C to it! :hyper:
  11. I ran one of their older BassMaster 200 watt combos for years. That thing was a tank. I'd say Yorkville definately beats anything else in the price range.
  12. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Sounds like you play rock. Think it has the tone possibilities for jazz-fusion, sort of Gary Willis-ish?
  13. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    So what are these heads like tonally? Do they compare with Ampeg? SWR? What do they sound like?
  14. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Yes indeed, "Rock" I play.

Snarf, I would suggest that you go here: http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=6&p2=120&p_id=101
    and download the XS400 manual. There are many handy presets with "fusion/jazz" being one of them. Take this with you when you go & test drive the Yorkie with your bass. Tweak & adjust & I think that you will find the sound you seek.
    I feel that they are very versatile & have a wide array of tones at your disposal.
    It will never "out Ampeg" a '73 SVT, but until I get roadies again I won't be moving one of those by myself.

I dig 'em.
    I have also heard good things about the Traynor YBA-200 all tube head, though I haven't played one. I find that the hybrid head fits my style better.