Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS800H (just got one)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Mar 18, 2005.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I just got the Yorkie 800 last night. haven't played though my cab's yet but will this weekend! :hyper:

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Review it, quick! When I have money to burn, a XS400H will be my first non-combo amp.

3. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    Snarf,

You will realize that there is a noticeable difference between the XS400H and the XS800H for headroom, punch and clarity, in my opinion anyway !!! Both are great amps !!!

4. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Sure, I know there will be differences. I'm not planning on playing huge venues with that amp, since I'm a jazz player more than anything else. 400 watts would be enough to fill a mid-sized club though, eh? My 200 watt Nemesis does that job already, but the 15 speaker doesn't do it for me anymore.

5. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Snarf;

I believe that what Turlu is saying that the 400 and 800 are different tonally.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    My XS400 is the best amp I have ever owned. There are some bells & whistles on the 800 that are cool, but 400w is PLENTY of power for me. Haven't got it past 3 yet.

Highly recommended...

7. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    I haven't had alot a time but will have a gam on Sunday with a full band and put the 800 to the test.

I can tell you I ran both the 400h and the 800h in the store side by side and for the extra few bucks, Get the 800h!
    There is a differance in sound and head room. if you only need 200 or 300w then the 800h will last a life time with it's head room and if you ever need the power it's there. Right now I only need 200w but I can't get the good low's and cutting highs at the same time with the smaller head. I'm pushing it to one end or the other. with the 800h I can get the full range with out giving anything up.

Check the 400/800 side by side before buying!!!!!!!

Know more Sunday night!

8. Turlu

Turlu Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Ottawa, Ontario CANADA
    That's what I meant. There is a tonal difference between the XS400h and the XS800H. I compared both using the same cab configuration, and at same volume, the XS800H is much clearer with more definition. I even tried the two amps with the exact same settings ( except for volume of course ), and the XS800H was really superior. The few extra bucks are worth the extra headroom for the Tone you get too ! This is in my opinion as both Amps are great for the price.

9. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    That's not quite true. Yeh, the basic design is the same, but if you're aware of any "fixes", other than some minor tweaking to beef up the design in regards to pots/knobs (as per your post, which has been covered ad nauseum in other threads,) then please do share! There was some QC issues that were fixed, and (most of us) have moved on from them. (Any one who has issues with XS400 amps that they currently own, remember to use your 2 year even if you break it warranty...)

(And I know you're going to say that I'm sticking up for "my company" again, but...) isn't trying out ANY used gear for issues a good idea, regardless of the brand or make?

Dude, not looking to hijack this thread, or to start anything with you, but give it a rest already! :rolleyes: I can't think of one XS thread where you haven't jumped in to wave the banner about the scratchy knobs. Fixed over a year ago, the units are better than ever. Anyone doing a search can find your opinion, right?

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    There were lots of other people who had the unfortunate experience of some QC issues with the early units dude, you seem to be the only person still worried about it. There's lots of negative things said about them still, and that's opinion, which is fine...but I don't see multiple posts with basically the same info, like yours...and if you look at Snarf's initial post, he never said anything about buying used, YOU brought up buying used.

I'm not a fan of ANY re-hashed subject. Sure, it benefits "our" brand, but it doesn't benefit me. If more people used the search function, the mods wouldn't have so much work. My concern here, is that by the sheer number of posts I've seen of you bringing it up, you seem to have some sort of ax to grind?

Would I warn someone about problems? Yep. I'd be ethically bound to, if not morally, both in business and personal. In fact, when the issue first came up (and you can do a search for that thread) I personally tested each unit we had available to ensure they were in good shape, even though it's not my job description (such a hardship :rolleyes: ) They all tested good, BTW. But to get back to my point, once the problem was fixed, I'd let it go, whether it was a product in my line or a competitors. And as I stated in an earlier response, isn't it a good idea to try ANY used product, regardless of the make or brand. QC issues, past owner abuse, PERSONAL TASTE, anyone with common sense should know these things (and as an aside, why do we have to keep repeating these things anyway? Isn't there a FAQ for that?)

In anycase, as we've stated before elsewhere, we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

However ;) I do appreciate your post, as the nature of it allowed me to talk a little bit about the XS stuff without violating the CUP... :D

LOL, just kidding...sort of... :D

11. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    In another time line there's two of yous in Ottawa sitting on the oppisite sides of the floor snearing and learing at each other :)
    Rezdog

12. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    LOL...I don't know if want to be blue or red...LOL, that's just hilarious!!

:D

13. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Ok, Ok! Now that all the pushing and shoving is over and you both can play well together, let's get back to the issue. ME! Me and my new XS800H!
    I played both the 800 and 400 side by side and to be honest, I didn't care much for the 400. It was a fine head but sitting next to the 800 it was hands down, the 800 is the winner. Anyway! I played the XS800H through a (newer) SWR 410 working man using my Musicman stingray at practice last night. I loved it. It was strong and full with out using the tube driver. I have two guitar players one who is a die hard Mesa Boogie love and the other who is a die hard Hartke lover. Both said they really liked it. The Boogie love said and I quote, " it's no Boogie but it's the next best thing". The Hartke love said and I quote, " I love the Hartke but I could change my mind after hearing that Yorkie". So, for it's first trial run the Yorkville XS800H got three thumbs up and a drummer that smiles.
    It was easy to dial in and get a good sound. In fact so easy that I didn't get to play with all the heads range and abilities. It was vary plug and play and I think the sound can only be fine tuned form here. :hyper:

14. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ooh, I just looked at some prices, and I've seen the 800 only $150 more than the 400 at just $600. I thought the 800 was more like $900.

15. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Got mine for $629.00 out the door!

16. Did you find it online or local? None of the big websites or stores around here carry them or have them in stock.

EDIT: Theres this site too Shockwave Audio, but I've never heard of Sound Machine Inc as snarf points out, or this one.

17. tboyd

tboyd

Sep 10, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Hey Snarf, I'm glad you brought that up, I found that same place yesterday. Any experience with them? Are the reputable?

Thanks,

Tim

18. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    It's all about you, bro! Play on!

19. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Thanks Rev! lol

good price on the sight!