Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yorkville XS800H

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sitback, May 15, 2004.

1. sitback

sitback

Dec 1, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
  2. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Yorkville has really done it this time! I can't wait for the new XS800's to show up in stores.

I've known about this new product for quite awhile now, and I am thrilled to see that it is finally (almost) here.

I currently own their XS400H head. A fabulous unit, to be sure. Great tone, features and portability. But Yorkville really has improved upon an already decent product in unveiling the XS800. The two features that really stand out for me as excellent improvements are the "Bass Resonance" control (allowing the bass player to tweak the amp's tone to suit whichever bass cabinet is being used), and -- my personal favourite -- a DI out with a goundlift! This seems like an obvious feature, but the XS400H is sorely lacking in this control. In fact, the lack of a ground lift is really the single downfall of the XS400H.

One of my only concerns about the new XS800 is the so-called "well placed vents" for the cooling fans. Looking at the product photos, it would appear that these are on the sides of the unit. While indeed these are ideally placed for useful ventilation of the unit, it would make encasing this unit in a protective rack case a bad idea. I'll have to research this further.

I will be curious to see just how many current owners of the XS400H will be trading in their units for this bigger, beefier (800w), better equipped bass amp.

I know I will.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Oh man, i got scooped!!!

I got to try out the prototypes this past Wednesday...I was absolutely blown away! I agree that the ground lift is definitely missed in the XS400 series, and that suggestion has been passed onto the design engineers at Yorkville Sound and may show up in future versions.

But man, what a cabinet!!! Nice, punchy, wicked tone! With the XS800H, man, I want one! But I'd have to get a van first...

Speaking of portability, the cabinet specs for the XC808 are going to change from those pictured above. There will be a handle across the top at the back, and a slanted "tilt back" bottom with wheels so that it can be wheeled as if it where on a dolly, this will be the production model that goes out.

XS800H...again, very easy to get inside it and get your tone. Bass resonance is very cool. You may be playing the XS808 at one gig...next gig you're playing through an XC410 and XC115X...no problem, adjust resonance to taste! The LEDs across the top of the front panel showing signal level is ultra cool in blue lighting.

XC808...8 inch speakers are the bomb!!! I could not believe the low end from 8s...yet still punchy and tight! i could definitely rock this cab on some black gospel gigs. I only which I'd gotten to try it out with my Spector (I was in a rush and forgot to bring it with me, drat it.) Still, with a Warwick Streamer 5 and a Godin 5ver with Basslines, man, some wicked, WICKED sounds.

My wife is going to kill me...but I gottsta get me one a' dem!!! :bassist:

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    So, what's the estimated/ballpark damage for each?

5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    They put the LIST price for it at $999.00Cdn/$879.00US for either one. That is list price, so knock a little off of that and that should be fair estimate for retail. Pretty sweet I'd say. Under $2K for an 800 watt head and 8x8 stack. A few hundred dollars less than an Ampeg SVT Classic head on it's own, and so much more versatile.

One of the standout features I noticed about that head is that it is 3U, 800 watts and only 25lbs. It's 4.5lbs LIGHTER than the XS400H. Amazing the difference not using heatsinks will make. I gotsta gotsta get me one of them. :bassist:

6. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    it says 800 watts at 2 ohms.

the xs400h is 400 watts at 4 ohms.

Is this a typo?

7. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I asked about that one already. The literature tells the true tale, but not really in order. It is 800 watts at 4 ohms, but it can go down to 2 ohms. At 2 0hms it only pushes about 600 watts though. This is a fairly normal thing from what I understand (going below "optimum" impedance will work safely, but at a slightly reduced output). I sent an email off to the webmaster over the weekend and he got back to me on it already. He said that it will be changed to be a little more understandable very soon.

8. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Guess the question on the amp is if it's really set up to run @ 2 Ohms on a regular basis & for 2-3 hours at a time? As far as the cab, although sure it's nice, I'm just not into huge stuff. 2 speaker cabs(2 speakers/cab) are my thing, each 8 Ohm, so 4 Ohm load total. Still, looks very nice & got a feelin' they'll do well.