Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yorkville?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassCrazed, Jun 15, 2000.

1. BassCrazed

BassCrazed

Feb 1, 2000

My local bass store carry's yorkville bass cab's and head's, does anybody here have any experience with this brand? They got a setup of a 4x10 and a 1x12 plus a head. They are priced pretty cheap so I was wondering if any of you have played yorkville.

2. Scok

Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    My freind had a yorkville set up the same as you discribe. It worked for him for a while until his taste got more refined and ended up trading it in for better gear.

My advice would be to take to same amount of money and purchase some better quality used gear. [​IMG]

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Check out my profile [​IMG] My main big gig rig includes Yorkville cabinets. I did change the 15" Eminence out for a 400w EVM bcause I had it. The Eminence was fine, the EV for the bottom half of this full range rig, is ridiculous [​IMG]

Yorkville cabinets are very well made, tough and use name brand components (some of the same components as the big guys). They market their stuff at a lower price point because they can.

I personally think bass amplification prices have gotten out of hand, but hey, if you got it, spend it. When Eden makes an "affordable" combo amp for over $1k, what does that tell you?

The 1-15/2-10 combination works extremely well for me.

I have had nothing but compliments about my "big" rig (it's not big at all but is easily capable of very loud, clean sound with great tone and presence). It's even influenced others to think outside of the SWR/Eden/Ampeg/Acme/EA box and save some money, too.

[This message has been edited by Brad Johnson (edited June 15, 2000).]

4. I hope my Yorkville I'm getting for Christmas is as good as it was cracked up to be.

5. Darell McMahon

Darell McMahon

Mar 26, 2004
    Hi, I have owned the 400XST bass combo for about a year now. You can read my evaluation at Harmony-Central.com. Yorkville Sound has a great warranty and thier products are top quality. After using my combo for a few months I added the matching 15" extension cabinet. Believe me this setup will rock the house. I can only say to you that you will get a lot of value for money by purchasing the Yorkville Sound products you choose, Cheers.
    Darell

6. i had an XC410 for a while, at first I did not like it very much...too muddy, but when I added casters and the cabinet was raised off the floor I got alot more definition and it sounded great. I traded it in for a SVT610 because I wanted a bit more surface area and volume.

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Are you sure it's a 1x12? I wasn't aware that Yorkie was making a 112 now.

Anyway, I have the XS800 head and am loving it. I'm finding it hard to get a bad sound out of it. I don't own any Yorkie cabs (yet).

What are the model numbers of the setup you were looking at?

8. DAcat

DAcat

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    I also have recently purchased a Yorkie XS800H amp head to power my Schroeder 410 cabinet and it sounds Thunderously Bassonic :) ...the head is a bit complex to totally figure out all the tonal possiblities-but there are many nice ones waiting to be found in this hybrid tube peamp head that puts 800 watts into 4 ohms and is built like a tank...I love it... :D

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    for the bassist on a budget yorkville seems to give best bang-for-buck ratio in combos and maybe separates.

kind of the "avatar" of combos to me.

10. Yes, the quality/price and value/price ratios are definately through the roof. They make some great sounding gear. I've been using the XS400H along with a modified Avatar 410 Pro and have received compliments on my sound for the first time in my playing history.

You couple Yorkie's tube-pre along with a cab that can reproduce the sound accurately and you have one warm sounding bass... although I have to admit I thought an Eden WT800 sounded warmer - at almost 3 times the price! But you really can't compare the two, they're different classes all together.

Anyway, here's the kick in the nads... no matter how great your "sound" is, it doesn't make any difference in the world to the audience since most bass players come through the PA! The audience probably doesn't even HEAR your rig, except the preamp and any pre-DI effects. Your rig is for YOU on stage, maybe for your bandmates during rehearsal and possibly for recording if the sound engineer isn't too lazy to set up and tune a set of mics (in which case the room will probably destroy your sound anyway, read: Standing Waves).

All that being said, if my sound is great on stage, its a rush you never forget! You play better - which the audience WILL notice.

- Andrew