Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yorkville

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MadPink, Jan 3, 2001.

1. Just wondering if anyone has heard of it. Im pretty sure its canadian made, thats what the d00d said anyways. i was gonna get a peavey but got this instead because shipping cost to canada boost the price of the peavey. so for 10$ more i got twice the wattage. by the way its a 100watt 15in speaker(i think) pretty nice amp. it has this nice sound to it.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Me have used. Me no like. Me very picky amp-wise. Me like expensive amps. Me play expensive amps. You not listen to me. ;)

3. That's what we had in school. I wouldn't say they are great amps but its good stuff for the price, better than what was in the same price range at that time. I've had an Eden for some time now, so I don't know what else is around these days.

4. I got a Yorkville 115B Bass Cabinet...and it sounds great, I use it with a Carlsboro 100 Twin Channel PA (Tube). In my opinion a very good combo.

5. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I have the Bassmaster 400 watt head through an 500 watt Ampeg 4x10 Classic cab. I just got them last Thursday and love it. The head is simple and has a very nice warm sound. I tried the Fender Bassman 400 head, and a SWR 350 head, and found the Yorkville better than both. Playing MIA Percision and MIM Jazz. This is an upgrade from a BXR 100 and I am very happy, sound-wise, and price-wise.

Barfly - Brampton, Ont. Canada

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Yorkville makes good amps. The company has always been Yorkville Sound but they used to use the Traynor brand name on their amps until the mid 80s (recently they have started to do some "reissue" Traynor amps). They are sort of the "Canadian Fender".

I gigged with two Traynor amps (one tube, one solid state) through most of the 80s and they delivered night after night.

Their current line of combos stacks up very well against Fender, Peavey and Ampeg stuff.

For Canadian players, the fact that it's not imported probably makes their amps an even better deal than here in the USA.

7. I have played Yorkville and Traynor amps.Both gave me years of reliable service.If you got twice the wattage for $10.00 more,then you got a great deal.

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Being a Canadian I grew up with Traynor/Yorkville. Sorry, brianrost but calling it the Canadian Fender is a huge,huge stretch. The founders Jack Long and Pete Traynor only wish it were.Anyway, back to the point. I don't think the current Yorkville/Traynor brands have nearly the quality and tone of the old Traynor stuff.Remember that for most of the last 20 years their bread and butter product has been PA systems.Having said that I think that the current Yorkville bass gear is among the best quality and tone at it's various price points.It is exceptional value.I personally don't care for Peavey bass amps/cabs so I would choose the Yorkville.Erick Lam speaks of Eden but forget that comparison (- I don't think Erick was comparing the two brands) Its like comparing a Chevy to a BMW. The Chevy is still a good car and so is the Yorkville bass gear.
    If you have lots of money you probably won't get Yorkville. If you want good value for the least dollar then you should consider Yorkville.

9. Yorkville have always made good affordable amps. Furthermore, the only other choice was a Peavey... I think I've made my point.

10. Velkov

Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    So, do you like it? I mean your Yorkville amp.

I'm asking because I'm thinking of buying that same amp that you're talking about.

I only need it for practice and occasional jamming in my friend's basement.

Is it loud enough to compete with a drumkit?

11. Yeah, I think its a great amp. I love it. But what do I know..haha. I've only been playing for 6 or 8 months. It has this nice warm sound to it...like someone else was saying. I'm pretty sure it could stand up to the pounding of the drums. actually yeah it could.

12. kumori

kumori

Nov 22, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I have used the Yorkville Bassmaster 100 for a few months now. (renting it) I have used it for rehearsals with a guitarist, sax, and drums. It has enough power to stand up to the drums. For the price, I think it is a good deal. More than adequate for practice and "basement sessions" in my opinion.