Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Yosemite...HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by hateater, May 18, 2003.

1. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I am faced with a tough decision (considering that I have little to none knowledge about these two things).

I am planning a trip to Yosemite with my two friends, and I need to decide between Crane Flat campground and Hodgdon (sp?) Meadows.

Does anyone here have any experience at all with either of these two campsites? Please include as much information about it as you can. Thanks!

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ever notice that the word yosemite is like a gangsta guy talking to a jew?

"YO, SEMITE!"

Ya, sorry about that lame joke.

But those camp sites are all good. I've been going there to a summer camp my church has inside the park at Wawona for years, so I sorta know my crap about that place.

Either place will be a good experience.

3. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    one of them is bear infested, I forget which.

4. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Last time I went to Yosemite, I satyed at Wawoma (it was beautiful BTW). You could not have any open food outside of a "bear safe" box at night time- or else you would get into trouble.

I am pretty sure that the reservation site said something about their being "bear safe" containers at Crane Flats as well- the bear problem at Yosemite is probably larger than just one campsite.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I've been to yosemite twice, stayed at lower pines both times. It was nice, I mean, I'm not a big fan of huge campsites with RVs and stuff. Backpacking is more my thing(I never thought I'd say that...wow..I've changed)

Nothing compares to backpacking a dozen miles into the middle of nowhere(at a small private camping spot) camping for a day or two then packing out some more.

Apart from the cold and desolation, camping at above 11,000 feet is an amazing experience.

6. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    You mean Wawona?

I am there every summer... well, not there... you know that road slightly past the hotel that leads to the river and the swinging bridge and stuff?

Ya, my church has a summer camp at the end of that road... great fun... why do i feel like i am repeating myself?

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    could it be because you are :p

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Heh... oh well.

Everyone needs a double dose of meh everyonce in a while.

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    meh

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Meh.

11. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Erm yea... Wawona is how it is spelled. I missed the swinging bridge, could you tell me a little more specifically where that is?

Meh.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    As you are heading towards the Wawona Hotel/Lodge thing, right past the hotel is a gas station. At the gas station, make a right, or left if you are coming from the valley.

That road curves into the summer camp, but it also goes to the left at the end and goes for a very short distance into the woods as a dirt road. You come to a barricade, get out of the car, and just follow the dirt road and you will come to the bridge in less than a quarter mile.

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I should write that down. Thanks!