1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (BTO)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Maybe it's just me, but this song is just jumping out as an awesome jam tune to me recently, not only for bass but really every instrument as far as I can tell.

I just wanted to know if I was alone on this one.

:bassist:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I loathe BTO with every fiber of my being. In the classic rock radio staple genre. I'm not big on radio, I can dig most overplayed classic rock, but BTO wrecks my brain.

JGbassman, Templar and Michedelic like this.
  3. I respect that. I'm really not into them much myself, I'm just addicted to jamming to that one tune at the moment.

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

This LP spun lots of times on my turntable in my early teenage years.

Mercury001.jpg

"Hey You", the single from this album, is very similar to YASNY.

Fishheadjoe likes this.
  5. Steve K

Steve K

Jun 20, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    I just saw Randy Bachman and his band in my hometown of Abbotsford, BC, and he played all of his hits, both from the Guess Who and BTO. It was a killer show, and it was a fundraiser for his brother, Tim, who recently had quadruple bypass surgery and needs time to recover. Best thing to ever hit my town, IMHO.

Tom Bomb and Fishheadjoe like this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You got that right.
    I would say my favourite part of "YASNY" is the guitar chords...what we used to call "Long Train Running" chords ('hammered-on' minor 7th chords). These occur leading up the the "Rocked-out" chorus.

For the BTO haters, & I would say that I'm not a huge fan...5000+ albums & never bought anything by them...except these from iTunes-
    "Blue Collar"...JAZZY. In the same mold, IMO, as The Guess Who's "Undun", a great, great Pop tune from Canned Wheat. Check out the outro to "Blue Collar", too (if interested).

"Sledgehammer"...an instrumental in 6/4, IIRC. Had some bass breaks in there also.

7. 01-Aug-51
    Tim Bachman is born:

Fishheadjoe and JimK like this.
  8. Same here.

The Guess Who had a great signature sound and compelling songs. BTO was a total letdown for me.

But, it's the music "business", and they figured out how to "stoke the Starmaker Machinery behind the popular song".

Can't take that away from em, I guess.

9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Love Blue Collar.

ELG60, zontar and JimK like this.
  10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Somewhere between 2008 & now...I bought Not Fragile.
    They have some nice deep cuts. So, if all you know are the radio staples...just dig a little. :)

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

12. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I really dig this song. How can anyone not like such great Walking Bass in a rock song? I throw walks into ZZ Top tunes all the time. It's extremely fun.

OldDog52 likes this.
  13. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    I heard them a lot and played along on my first electric guitar when they were popular. Another of my favourite tunes was Share the Land. I only recently (like 25 years ago) found out that Randy Bachman had also been in The Guess Who. BTO had a style and a sound and I liked it. If I listen to them today, the part of me that liked them then is still around.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    HaphAsSard and OldDog52 like this.
  14. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark
    As observed by OP many of their song/numbers are quite cool for jamming along. At that time I was not very analytical or critical about what I heard other than one or more electric guitars was obligatory. As I got older (like 5+ years) I would still jam along but now to Toto's first LPs which were earhangers of the same kind. A bit more complicated, but so was I.

15. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I like BTO a lot.

Every time I go out for a long walk, I find "Taking Care of Business' playing in my head. It's perfect for setting a pace.

I agree with the OP, good stuff in YASNY.

16. tpa

tpa

Dec 1, 2007
    København, Danmark

:bassist::cool:

Fishheadjoe and JimK like this.
  17. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    You are not alone :) No fear.

18. Yea, I just can’t. Just too overplayed. Even though, takin care of business was a jam my first band played into the ground. We used to practice in our basement, and to this day my 87 year old mother connects that song and my first band together.

I never played you ain’t seen nothing yet, but didn’t feel I missed out.

However, I’d gladly listen to that compared to the pop crap on the radio now. All it seems to be is a girl/guy yodeling some unintelligible lyrics over some synth part and a drum machine. It have the musical depth compared to the width of a human hair.

At least BTO was musicians playing music.

Fishheadjoe and OldDog52 like this.