You all depress me a lot...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Feb 22, 2005.

1. I've been playing bass for three years and I still have my all crappy Ibanez Soundgear Gio :( It's mostly due to my budget.

Recently I've taken my bass playing to a whole new level, before I was just in the school band and stuff. In probably....I'd say mid December I decided I wasn't going to be some lame flea clone who just slapped all the time. (I did this after going to the Guitar Center and I heard Higher Ground like...10 times:oops:)

I have like...a 200 dollar bass. Come on people. some of you have 4,000 dollar basses. I'm looking to get a new 6 string (I have a 4 now) and I'll probably get the Spector Q6. Is that any good?

I'm 14 and I have no budget:( Do any of you remember the days when you were broke? :bag:
  2. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You're 14 and have a bass. What is there to complain about. I didn't get my first bass until I was 16, and I had to save up for it. It was a Squier II P-bass. At such a young age, there should not be any hurry to get some fancy flamey, quilty top boutique bass.
  3. I was 19 before I got my first bass!

Nothing wrong with a Spector Q6 if you really want to get a 6 so quickly! I played for 15 years before I bought a 6......a $300 Washburn XB600 - had it the past 5 months......nah it ain't for it's getting sold!

Had 5 Spectors though - still got 2 both 5 they are worth having! :)

Good luck on your quest for a new bass! :)
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ditto. Consider yourself fortunate. :D

A Q6 is a nice step up. Make sure you get a good one though, production instruments tend to vary from one to the next. Try before you buy. :)
  5. I do realize how fortunate I am compaired to how late some people start playing. I started when I was 11.

Edit: And, I love my Ibanez Soundgear, it's just that I need to step it up. I'm very happy with my bass, and it's not falling apart. It's kept up with a lot of abuse and I'm happy for that:D :D
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You've been playing for 3 years and have a Gio?

Thats not bad.

You are 14 and have a Gio?

Not bad either.
  7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No worries... All you *Really* Have to do is save up for ONE high end bass, then when you sell it you can usually add 300-500 more and buy another high end bass... (When ya get older and a job)
  8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

Be glad to have a bass. I had a T40 that I used for a long time and a P-bass after that. Use what you have and make the best of it. Nothing beats practice on whatever bass you have. Quite honestly, you may not be able to really appreciate the subtle differences in a $4k bass at this point in your career. The more you play and the more instruments you play will allow you to make a better decision of what will ultimately be your sound.

As far as the Spector, play THAT bass and see what you think. If it feels good to you get it.
  9. Hm. I feel like an ungrateful bastard now. Thanks for helping my bassic moral:D
  10. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    I don't mean to jump on the wagon here, but you're in a great position being only 14. I got my 1st bass when I was 18 by trading in my prized silver trumpet. 4 years later, I finally got a real left-handed bass. It wasn't expensive by any means, but 15 years later, I still have it. My wish list also contains a 6-string, but good luck to me in finding a lefty anywhere nearby for me to try.

Enjoy what you have, perfect your chops and save your money.....
  11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No worries! We all feel like that when we look at all the "Look what I got" threads...
  12. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I remember being broke like it was yesterday, wait it was! The Spector Legend 6 is superior. Don't buy a used Q6 unless it's a really good deal. Save and get the Legend.
  13. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    Why the crap is everyone getting on this kid? Who cares when we got our first bass? Sure he's better off than all of us were, but he also has this forum to ask us, his fellow low-enders, about such topics as what 6 string he should buy! This is a different day and age than when we grew up. Kids are growing up much faster. I say more power to you dude!

If you're looking for a good beginner 6'er, check out They have a nice neck-thru 6'er for under $400, and I hear they're nice for the money... I just ordered an SX j-bass yesterday! Hope this helps.
  14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We're not ragging on him, we're just saying that he's doing fine and shouldnt be discouraged.
  15. Thunder_Fingers

Jun 24, 2004
    you dont NEED a high end bass.. they aint Important to Make you play good... you could play all your life on cheap basses, its the fact that you have an bass, you can play it, and you enjoy it are more important than how much your bass is worth...
  16. deichman

Jun 1, 2003
    Hey, my first bass was a Kay that came from a J.C. Penny catalog. I played it for 2 years before I stepped up to a quality instrument. Take your time. I would suggest stepping up to a 5-string instead of the 6-string. You've got the rest of your life to practice and study. I would hate to see you get discouraged. You're probably not ready to play lead bass yet, so go for the 5-string. My guitar player bought a Spector 5-string for $500-$600. It's a great bass for the money. :)
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sure, I remember the days when I was broke. I was happy playing a used Fender P-bass. :)

Bottom line: musicianship is primarily determined by *how* you play, not what you play it on.

Do NOT worry about keeping up with us older folk who have jobs and stuff. Just worry about taking your playing to the next level (or the level after that, whichever is appropriate :p).

Do NOT worry about basses you can't afford. There's absolutely no guarantee you'll like a $4000 bass better than your Ibanez: some you will, some you won't. Same's true for $400 basses.

Even if you came up with the money: I strongly advise you NOT to buy a high end bass until you have more experience. It's a bad idea to spend $4000 on a bass until you know exactly what you want. Early on, it's much better to try four $1000 basses than one $4000 bass.
  18. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    When I was a kid, we had to make our own bass strings out of family pets. Our basses were broom handles stuck into washtubs. We used appliance boxes as pretend amps, and my little brother hid inside and tried to sing the bass part really loud.

(Actually, it was a hollow-body Harmony. Once you play a hollow-body Harmony, you're happy playing anything.)
  19. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Heh, I'm 26 and my "good" bass is a Samick Fairlane 6-string I snagged used for $300 last year. I love that bass to death, would cry if anything happened to it, and should theoretically want for nothing else...but this forum fuels GAS like nothing else.

Anyway, there are some nice sixes that one can get for a decent price. These are a couple that I've sampled:

-The Peavey Fury is a nice sixer that looks, feels, and sounds like a much more expensive bass. The neck is thin and fast.

-The Ibanez SR506 is a good sixer too. It looks good, sounds good, and the neck is comfy. The body has an oil finish, so maintenance may be higher than with a lacquer finish.

However, though these two basses have "normal/standard" width 6-string necks (meaning a bit over 2" at the nut and perhaps 3.25" at the last fret), I find them too wide for my tastes. This is why the Samick Fairlane 6 is perfect for me. 2" wide at the nut, 3" wide at the 22nd fret, thin flat neck profile= perfect for me. Now to the average person, this is too narrow for a 6, but I love it. Bass has dual truss rods too.
  20. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    This may sound hard to believe, but I bought my bongo with spare change! That's right, Entirely with spare change. I'm really cheap. I save all of my change. Here's the trick, whenever you buy something, anything, take the change and put it in a jar. If you go and buy a cheeseburger at wendy's and it comes to $3.50, and you just happen to have 2 quarters in your pocket, keep them there. Give the extra dollar and get some more change. I think it's safe to say that $0.50 will not break you. If you do this over a long period of time you will be suprised how much money you can acumulate and you truely don't feel it. Granted I was saving up for 3 years to get my bongo, it was well worth the wait.

Actually, the truth is, I had no intention of buying the bongo. I was saveing with the idea of buying a carvin AC40. However, I played a bongo and fell in love :D.

Just be patient and save. Good things come to those who wait for them.