Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

you all play the guitar with 4 strings because you can't play the one with 6!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Peatroosio, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Peatroosio

Peatroosio

Apr 24, 2000
    Or so the ignorant ones say.

other irritating things said/done regarding bass,
    -"You're good? so can you play some Korn?"
    -Wearing the strap so low that it looks like a strap-on upright.
    -"Bass is so easy"
    -"can i try it?"-crappy guitarist
    -attempting to play the guitar part to stairway to heaven,
    -"get an ibanez, that's what fieldy plays",
    -"why didn't you get a five string? you can be more creative that way"
    -"let's all crowd brad and touch his bass so he get's really nervous!"
    -"what's a bass?"
    -blink-182,
    -"why spend 800 on a guitar when you could buy a car?" (i ended up getting it for 600)
    -playing 'hide-the-bassist'
    -"look! he plays the guitar too!" -noisy lady at a high school jazz concert after bassist switches from double to electric,
    -"i have a peavy"
    -"how hard can it be to read sheet music for bass?",
    -"your FINGERS hurt? pansy",
    -"It's tho TOP OF THE LINE model by Rogue"
    -"a bass is a bass, why spend so much?"
    -"he's not good, but he's better than nothing"

Please feel free to post your own quotes that just make you clench your teeth and label a person as 'idiot'

[Edited by Peatroosio on 12-06-2000 at 12:35 AM]

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "Do you really NEED more than 4?" hehehehhe :D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    usually i say "only 6 strings, huh? and gee that thing (point at guitar) sure is tiny. looks like it was made for little girls? where's the barbie?"

:D

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Who was it here that posted the quote?:

"4 strings are easy? Yeah, violins also have 4 strings. I heard they are real easy too!"

5. hard to believe but the guitar player i play with bought a 16 track recorder wrote his first song, used one of the basses i left over there and then after i listened to his song he said "boy i have to hand it to you bass players, i don't know how you deal with those thick strings"
    and for a giggle he pointed out in the song you can hear in the background as he is playing bass the mic picks up him saying "when's it going to end" the sounds of his hands hurting ha ha ha :D wussy light gauge guitar players

6. ~Loxley~

~Loxley~ Guest

Apr 9, 2000
    Whenever a guitarist is trying to annoy me, I say:

"Oh yeah? Well mine is longer than yours!"
    :D

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, those that feel inadequate with four(5, 6,7, 8, 12) strings, might be happier playing a concert harp.

8. "You're the bass player. You have the easiest job in the band."

-drunk, clueless guitarist

9. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    " Why did you take the other two strings off of your guitar? "

-- some doofus, just before asking me why our band doesn't have a bass player.

10. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    "I used to play bass in a band, but then I moved up to guitar."
    -some guy my Freshman year in college

11. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    hey, i wear my strap low. that's the only way i can keep both wrist [relatively] straight and my shoulders relaxed when playing.

-"why is your guitar bigger than his?" - ditzy girl asking about my bass.

-"i know how to play on a 5-string bass [attempts to play along]..[pauses]..dude, your bass is out of tune" - some idiot guitarist who thought the bass was tuned E-A-D-G-b.

-"can i try your bass [proceeds to yank the strings like it was a freakin' crossbow]"

12. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Naturally, your instrument must conform to your, well, "instrument". =)

13. Snap DHG

Snap DHG

Dec 5, 2000
    I play a Rogue.. :( I'm poor and I can't afford better.

14. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Funny, my response to the line in the topic is usually, "Yeah, stumps all the way. What's your point?"

15. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Previously, I had thought that I never had any run-ins with clueless fools. BUT, I just remembered something VERY annoying.

"Can I see it? *picks it up (with permission, course -- I'm a nice guy like that)* Hmm... so what are the chords on bass?"

BAH! Fools. :D Playing chords on bass is for neat solo tricks, a la Jaco and probably alot of other guys, too.

16. Most of them people who think they know how to play guitar are just posers anyway. Just because they have a repertoire of about 30 or so chords... Try asking them if they can read the neck!

Then you meet those who can read the neck somewhat (Like basically only the E string) and think they're all the good bass player because they can play straight eighth notes with roots through a song...

(Note: I'm not trying to dis all guitarist... Just the ones that suck and think they'd be just a good bass player... Not that I'm good... Just tired of all them guitarist who can't figure out anything in a song, that's basically I-IV-V, other than chords and I have to show them how to play a fill or a cool line on their guitar!)

17. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    When I was back in school, there was a band that, for some reason, everyone thought was really good. Their line-up consisted of a drummer and three guitarists, none of whom sung, and they basically strummed the chords to Oasis songs.

Now, the thing that really annoyed me about them was their lack of a bass player - according to them, bass playing was "boring" and they "all take turns to do it, because we all have having to". What they would do is play bass on a guitar with the bass turned right up, playing nothing but root notes, and the "bass" player would normally play the solo in the middle of the song, and then go back to the "bass" once the solo was finished.

And people thought they were better than us - AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

18. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    I have one thing to say to that, yawnsie.

People are idiots.

Keep that in mind, and there are LOTS of things that will suddenly stop bugging you. =)

19. polo3378

polo3378

Nov 21, 2000
    This is what I have heard and gone through in my many arguments!!!

(SIGH!)... here it goes:

-"I can't hear it when I listen to music"

-"the guitarist is the most important in keeping the rhythm"

-"Bass players just stand there"

-"No one pays attention to you"

-"Play that stuff from Seinfeld"

-"Do you want to get the chicks...?"

-"Can you play what that'My name is Mud'guy plays?"

-"it is too heavy, it hurts my back"

Yes my fellow kinsfolk, this is what I have heard...and we must live with these ignoramusses...

Take care guys and make sure you are heard, Dammit!!!

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My cousin and their family visited mine last summer and their eldest son, 7 years old, pointed at my bass asking me: "Is that a guitar?". Understandable question when you're 7 but for some reason I always remember it.. Hey perhaps it was first bass he had ever seen. Wow! :D I just wish I would had asked him to try it.

[Edited by Tsal on 12-14-2000 at 04:16 AM]