Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

You and the Night and the Music

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Is there a chart for this anywhere? One of my brother's old friends (James Everett) recorded a really cool version of this tune. I did a bit of checking and it seems to be a fairly popular song (Bill Evans has apparently recorded this many times with different bassists) but I can't find it in any of my books.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    This wouldn't be a hard one to take off, there's a nice version on INTERPLAY (Bill Evans quintet).

3. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Real Book 3 - P349
    The Standards Real Book - P547
    557 Standards in C - P441

4. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'd agree that the best thing would be to lift this one. If you do decide to, I'd be happy to look over what you get, just email it to me. I've played this tune many times over the years. One recording of the tune I think you'd like is on Mulgrew Miller's Time and Again. Peter Washington plays the melody (except the bridge) and he's recorded extremely clearly. His bass lines also clearly state the changes, and he plays the melody really almost as you would see it in a fake book, especially on the first A, then varies it a bit. Mulgrew plays the bridge pretty straight up too. And you just can't go wrong with Mulgrew Miller.

Brent

5. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Plus, there are a multitude of things that are worse than having a rekkid with both Peter Washington and Mulgrew Miller on them. Swingin'...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Hmm...I think I'll do that. Thanks, fellas.