1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

You And You DAW

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by socialleper, Jul 30, 2018.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    What software do you use for recording in your home studio?

Do you actually like it, or did it just come with your interface?

What do you like\dislike about it?

Just curious.

2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I used to have Cubase 4LE that came with my Personus Firebox from many moons back. It served me well for a long time. It got old, the interface got old, and the computer it was on got old.

My new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 came with Ableton. The jury is still out as to whether or not I like it.

3. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I use Reaper and Ableton, depending upon what type of project I'm working on . I could do everything on either one, but the different interfaces put me in different mindsets.

Reaper: Almost infinitely customizeable. Affordable. The basics are easy.

4. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I use Acid Pro to write my drum tracks and rough song ideas. When I am ready for full recording, I move the drums to Reaper and go from there. My interface is a scarlet 2i4.

Jewce likes this.
  5. hs123

hs123

Aug 11, 2011
    Westminster CO
    ProTools 11 ( non-subscription) & Reason 8(for easy midi composition).

6. Aloe

Aloe

Apr 10, 2016
    Ukraine
    I currently use Studio One v3. It did not come with my interface, but I got a good deal on crossgrading from Reaper.

It's sometimes slow and buggy, but overall I like the workflow, it's much easier for me to do common tasks in S1 than in Reaper.

7. Drifter_Bass

Drifter_Bass

Apr 5, 2017
    MPLS, MN
    Depends on what I am doing. I use ProTools 10 for all my client and project studio work, especially when recording/editing/mixing all audio tracks (i.e. no midi).

If I am writing material or using loops/midi, I'll use Logic. Much easier to write/record ideas off the cuff and use modelers and such for my tones. Bass Amp modeler is Logic X is the bees knees.

+6dB Dan likes this.
  8. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Audacity because no project of mine is done for anything other than a practice track and I'm too cheap for anything else.

JRA likes this.
  9. Reaper and Focusrite interface

Incredibly inexpensive DAW that has more features than I'll ever use and I do a lot of mixing.

I do however have an extensive collection of plugins and have never used the plugins included with Reaper, so I can't comment on those.

Rickter likes this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    I use Reason 6.5. Does more than I could ever hope to do and I’ve been using Reason since 3.5.

Kriegs likes this.
  11. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    Reason 10 is the total package for me :thumbsup:

12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Logic X and an old M-Audio Fast Track Ultra that is almost dead due to out of date drivers...

Bodeanly likes this.
  13. Ardour. Started using it because it works on Linux; still use it (and Linux) because it's extremely capable.

Interface is a Roland FA-101; it was great a decade ago, and it's still great now, but sooner or later I won't be able to connect a Firewire device to my computer. Hopefully Thunderbolt interfaces will be up to the task by then.

palmann and okcrum like this.
  14. mbasile

mbasile Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2015
    I use Logic Pro x, as it came with a previous employment position. I like it, but I don’t have much to compare it to. I like that most things support it pretty easily so I don’t have to futz around.

Chris Fitzgerald and Bodeanly like this.
  15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    Logic Pro X

Love it. Will probably marry it. I started on GarageBand and, as it evolved over time, the transition to Logic was as close to seamless as anything could ever be. GarageBand is pretty sweet on its own, though, and I still use it for rough ideas and demos. So, while I may marry Logic, GB will forever be my side chick.

The cool thing is that GB is free if you have a Mac. Once you’ve exhausted all of its glorious features, Logic is only 200 buckeroos. And you can open all of your GB projects in Logic.

Before this, I tried Cubase. It was great, but I strayed. I could never get the swing of Protools, but I only used it for about a month before giving up. That was in 2006 and I’m sure it, like everything else, has changed dramatically.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    DirtDog likes this.
  16. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I use Cubase because it easy to...

:cautious:

...find

17. mogator

mogator

Aug 12, 2002
    Garageband is also free on any recent iPad or iPhone. Lots of recording interfaces supposedly will work seamlessly over ios. I've been using Alesis docks, or a Fender Slide interface. I had a couple of freestanding multitrack recorders and GB is so much simpler and more powerful in so many ways. I love it.

Bodeanly likes this.
  18. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Reaper with Native Instruments or Ableton.

palmann likes this.
  19. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Reaper. Inexpensive, full featured, intuitive, and stable. I was ready to sink a bunch of money into ProTools after Cakewalk took a dive, very glad I tried a reaper trial before I did so. No that cakewalk is ostensibly “back,” I’m not, I’ve barely opened it since switching to Reaper. It’s probably jinxing me to say this, but I don’t believe I have ever had Reaper crash on me. Sonar would crash at least once a session.

20. chazolson

chazolson Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2013
    Reston, VA
    Logic Pro. Best two hundred bucks I ever spent.

+6dB Dan and Bodeanly like this.