You and Your 4 Note Chords

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BaroqueBass, Sep 6, 2000.

1. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    I was just wondering how many people use 4 note chords when playing bass? For me it adds a lot of depth to bass pieces, because you have low notes mingling with some higher ones at the same time. Of course, it is amazingly hard playing progressions of 4 note chords, but it is a wonderful color to add to your musical palette.
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    only by accident
  3. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Rarely...but it has a nice affect when I do...:)
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out Mike Dimin & his book, THE CHORDAL APPROACH; I think the URL is
    Mike is also availaable for questions here at TB(unless BASS FRONTIERS...uh, nevermind).
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, I picked up some good tips from Mike's book and it inspired me to try more chords. I must say though, that I tend to stick to 3-note chords at most, as they sound full enough without being muddy. This may be a limit of my right hand technique however. I find that I can play one low note with my thumb and then pluck two on higher strings with two fingers. Any more and I'm struggling!
  6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Nice Jim, really nice

Actually I tend to stick with three as well. pretty much as long as you have the root, guide tones, melody note and/or tensions your ear will fill in the rest.<br>

As for playing progressions, you have to look at the smoothest possible way to voice lead the inner notes of the chords. It not only makes it easier, but also sounds very musical. After all it worked for J.S. Bach.

7. gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    My newest favorite thing is to play root/3rds on the E and G strings...They sound really nice in the upper register...wish I had a reliable way to notate a few things to show you here...but I love dyads, triads...I only use 4 note chords at the end of a cadence or entire song...they just sound so full and "final" that I reserve them for that purpose.