1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

You and your amp......on stage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by USAJO, Jul 26, 2007.

1. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I don't go out to hear bands often. I've been playing weekends for so many years when I'm not playing I enjoy the time away from clubs and crowds. This may be why I have a limited perspective. When we gig we use significant PA systems. The gear on stage is for the "band" to hear. When the drummer is using his acoustic drums we are louder on stage and when he uses the electronic set we are can lower the stage volume. I always see this as a positive and I'm happy that we can hear the vocal monitors and can clearly hear the dynamics of each song and player on stage. I use a 400 watt head into two 8 ohm single 12 cabs and yes there are nights where I'm pushing it pretty hard so we aren't ultra quiet.
    Is my band in the minority here on TB ? Do most of you take the same approach or do the majority of you crank it up on stage, battle 100 watt Marshalls and let it ROCK?

2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Yep, I battle two Marshall 100 watt half stacks, but we are a metal tribute band after all. Our guitarists are required by all that is metal to play through those!!! ;)

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    No that's about right for me. 400 watts and a 2x10 or 2x12. Outside I bring more power and two cabs. I'm in the process of migrating to 1 cab a bit larger (Schroeder 410) and I'll be bringint the Pre/Pwr setup but that's as I'm migrating away from a small rig / large rig setup infavor of 1 rig.

4. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I use an 8x10 and usually keep the volume way down (11 o'clock on an SVT). Sometimes the venue will have a monitor mix that requires more volume from the bass, or they don't feel the need to pump the bass through the FOH....and the power is there if I need it. I also like the stage presence/visual aspect of a large cabinet.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I usually carry a STRONG rig but I'll only play so loud. If the rest of the band want's to walk away with the volume and play with the bass burried, that's their choice. I'm getting paid at the end of the night whether I get heard or not.

But, I'm only going home with my ears ringing once or twice before I'll pass on the gig.

6. There are as many scenarios for different players' band environments as there are players, so if you spend any time on TalkBass you'll hear about all the variety, which is a good thing. Lots to learn and experiment with.

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    i run a 1x12 and 2x12 stacked vertical powered by a 1000w crown. in the country band volume is at 2 to 2.5 depening on venue size and only vocals go FOH. in the rock band volume is at 4 to 5 depening on venue size, everything goes FOH & I ALWAYS wear my ear plugs in the rock band. those marshall stacks hurt my ears...lol

PS: i use the same 5 string bass for both gigs

8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I've got a Hughes & Kettner Triamp on one side, and a Mesa TriAxis -> Stereo 2:90 on the other side. And a drummer with two kick drums, 6 toms, two hihats, and more cymbals than I can remember. We are METAL.

So I've gone from Ampeg B2R at 350 watts, to Eden WT550B and Ampeg SVT610 at 500 watts, to WT550B into Eden 210XLT/212XLT at 4 ohms at 750 watts. I am finally satisfied with my volume and low end cleanliness. Not clipping my amp anymore and love my tone.

Anything less than 500 watts ain't enough for a loud band. Especially when they're slinging 7-string guitars for half the songs.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Bands who have a good PA and know how to use both it and their backlines to best effect do exactly as you do, and it doesn't matter if they're playing to a 50 seat bar or a 50,000 seat stadium. Cluelessness also can be found at both ends of that spectrum. As for the drums, you can have acoustic tubs and still maintain a reasonable level on stage w/shields.

10. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    When we do clubdates it's just vocals and keyboards in the FOH. For that I just use my GK 1001 combo alone. Bigger shows and outside, I add a 15" cab and it goes in the FOH

JKT

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It varies from gig to gig, and upon the PA. There are certainly situations where I am working with a great FOH PA, and all I have to do is cover the stage area, so I try to do just that - and not get in the sound man's way. Other times - most often when I am running sound myself - I find it easier to just bring a very 'capable' rig, and run drums, guitars and vocals through the PA. This only works well, though, if I have a rig that can fill the room without overwhelming on stage (fortunately, I have some rigs which can do this well). The last thing I want to do is blow my bandmates off the stage, or start a volume war. If this is a possibility, I just throw the bass into the PA and turn down on stage.

For most players, though, I would think that keeping your rig under control and just covering the stage is the way to go (provided you have good FOH support). But, I do want to throw out the suggestion that in some cases (typically where you aren't driving the PA too hard, anyway), you can get easier/better results rilling the room with your rig. Now, this point avoids the 'gear hauling issue', so if you don't have to lug the PA (as I sometimes, do) and you don't want to bring a big rig, then the 'keep it to the stage' approach has great merit.

Tom.

Tom.

12. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    +1 I dread playing when I know things are going to be really loud, and I would avoid playing with people (aka guitarists) that feel the need to turn up all the time. Even if it were a metal band, there's no reason to play so loud.

13. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    To hear yourself over a metal drummer, perhaps? Cuz first, the guitarists must hear themselves over the drummer, then I gotta hear myself over both.

14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Just changed stage setup.

Sold my Ampeg SVT Classic Head, and 6-10 cab.
    Loved the sound,
    Just to much amp for volume I play now.
    Pain to lug around too.

Now I use a Nemisis 2x10 combo, for small gigs.
    And add a 15" nemisis cab for bigger gigs.

Love to get a Aguliar 750 and a 4-10 cab.

15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

When I play outside without PA support, I use the following...

Ampeg B2RE (450W SS) head
    1 x 15" Ampeg cab
    2 x 10" Ampeg cab (x2)

This gives me waayyyy more power than I need but my guitarist plays through a crazy loud 1970's Marshall stack.

Indoor I use the same Ampeg head with only one 2x10 cab if I can DI to the board. If I want more bottom end, I will bring the 2nd 2x10.

My master volume rarely ever hits more than 4/10.

16. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    The metal drummers don't need to play so loud. I understand how this happens. Most metal drummers just learn to play by playing, and as such don't know how to create the feel in the music without all the volume. But a well trained drummer can play fast without playing so loud. Of course, you can always use earplugs, and I keep a good pair of Etymotic's with me all the time, but still... It's just annoying when everyone turns up so loud. IMO of course.

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Which rig(s) best enable you to fill the room without overwhelming the stage?

It may seem counterintuitive, but I found that I am better able to fill the room without blowing my band mates off of the stage by adding a second cabinet that enables me to hear myself more clearly without increasing my on-stage volume; if anything, I may be playing a little quieter, my cabs certainly aren't being pushed very hard, and my amp is breathing easier as well.

18. bassbeard

bassbeard

Jul 18, 2007
    akron, ohio
    i may still be stuck in my "look how big my rig is" phase, but at least i can admit it lol

but in all seriousness, most of the bars we play at have trashy sound systems and trashier sound guys.
    Our music is pretty intense and the last thing I need is to be distracted by worrying about my sound.
    If we have a lot of room to set up, I bring both 8X10 cabs. If it’s a tiny stage, I just bring one. I am completely self sufficient.
    If PA support is there, great. If not, no biggie.
    Besides, the feel of 16 10” speakers behind you is simply glorious, regardless of the style of music you are playing (not to mention moving them around is good exercise!)

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The best rigs that I have found for doing this are either the Bergantino IP cabs or, if I am in an all-tube mood, the Sadowsky SA200 into two SA410's.

Recently, though, in a smallish medium sized room, I got great, great results from a Glockenklang Heart-Core (400w into 4 ohm) into a Berg HT115/HT210 stack. Edit: I also recall getting surprisingly good results from a Traynor YBA200 (tube head) into a Phil Jones 6T/9B stack.

Tom.

20. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    For some reason I thought this was a PHOTO post with you with your rig on stage. No photos yet. And I'm still looking through mine.